The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Treating a room with unusual shape, opinions apprecieated :)
Old 7th August 2019
Here for the gear
Treating a room with unusual shape, opinions apprecieated :)

Hello everyone!

As I will do a room renovation soon I decided to take that opportunity to finally buy moniors, treat the room as good as I can and make it a suitable place for a studio.

The main problem I'm facing is the non-centered sloped parts of the ceiling, which results in practically an impossibility to achieve a symmetrical listening position.
Also, a huge window doesn't help for sure :( (140cm wide, 107cm tall (55x42 inch)).

On pictures below you can see how the ceiling looks (first photo is taken from the lower right corner, where is the entry, and second photo from the lower left corner.)

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1565213192

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1565213199

Main dimensions of the room are as follows: 3.33 x 3.9 [m] (about 131 x 153,5 inches), 2.65m tall (104 inches).

I imagine the mixing position to look as follows: (The red lines indicate the sloped roof, and please note that the window is a bit recessed to the back in reality)

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1565213194

The acoustic panels that I intend to build will be from a 120 x 60cm (4 x 2 ft) fiberglass avilable in my country (ISOVER PT-80) wich absorbtion coefficients as such:

(50 mm is 2 inches, 100 about 4)

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1565213199

Possible thicknesses to buy are 40, 50, 60, 80, 100 and 150 mm. I figured that the 150mm ones will be the best for bass traps and for rest of panels i will take the 50mm.

From what I could gather in my research I would do it like this: (Pic with treatment below)

150mm:
- 2x2 ft traps in each corner above the doors,
- in the lower left corner a 4x2 trap and a second 4x2 on it, which would basically cover the whole room height in this corner,
- 3x2 trap in the upper left corner (it can't be taller because the sloped ceiling starts just above 3 ft from the ground),
- one 4x2 trap horizontally on the windowsill to separate the room from the window at least a bit,
- one 4x2 on the ceiling above the window, near the corners for addicional bass treatment.

50mm:
- four of the 4x2 panels would hang on both sides of the mixing position from sides of the sloped ceiling,
- two 4x2 panels above the mixing position on the ceiling
- and two 4x2 on the rear wall behind mixing position.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1565213194

This is how it would roughly look from behind of the mix position: (Keep in mind that the sloped ceiling is't visible here, couldn't do it on this website :P)

(Camera position visible on the previous pic)

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1565213192

What do you all think? Would the treatment with such a bad room even make sense?
If so, is this the most beneficial layout? Or maybe I should center myself on the opposite wall
(to be in the middle of the 390cm dimension, thus the window would be behind me off-centered) and start from there?

Looking forward for any opinions/suggestions! :D
Attached Thumbnails
Treating a room with unusual shape, opinions apprecieated :)-behind-mix-position-view.jpg   Treating a room with unusual shape, opinions apprecieated :)-first.jpg   Treating a room with unusual shape, opinions apprecieated :)-room-treated-jpg.jpg   Treating a room with unusual shape, opinions apprecieated :)-room-untreated-jpg.jpg   Treating a room with unusual shape, opinions apprecieated :)-second.jpg  

Treating a room with unusual shape, opinions apprecieated :)-acoustic-parameters.jpg  
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear
Wow! I have nothing to offer on this. I’m not making any judgement that the room is hopeless, just that I can’t make any sense of it. I hope you get some expert response.
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomallo99 View Post
Would the treatment with such a bad room even make sense?
I'll be brutally honest and say no.
Old 8th August 2019
Here for the gear
Hmm, alright, thanks for honesty. Looks like I need to get used to headphones :D (and look for a better place for a studio) :/

Nonetheless, I think i'm going to do this for the reason, that when in few years I will move out from my parents' house into a better room, I will need some acoustic panels, so I might aswell build them now. This would also allow me to get as good of a sound as possible until that moment arrives.

In this case, would the build that I've decribed be the best possibility?
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
In this case, would the build that I've decribed be the best possibility?
150 mm and especially 50 mm will not much in the bass region. You may have to go a lot deeper or go pressure-based absorbers.

But measure your room first to figure out where the room modes are.

I agree that panels in compatible sizes (1,20 m x 60 cm, 1,20 m x 1,20 m) will be something that can usually be reused. GIK and Artnovion use these formats and I think Vicoustic does, too.

Just don't expect any resale value from DIY acoustic treatment.
Old 8th August 2019
Here for the gear
Thanks, measuring is definitely a good idea.

Also, as for the layout i mentioned here:

Quote:

If so, is this the most beneficial layout? Or maybe I should center myself on the opposite wall
(to be in the middle of the 390cm dimension, thus the window would be behind me off-centered) and start from there?
I've visualised and measured it, and it actually all fits, maybe that would be better?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1565304952

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1565305006
Attached Thumbnails
Treating a room with unusual shape, opinions apprecieated :)-room-treated-alternative-jpg.jpg   Treating a room with unusual shape, opinions apprecieated :)-room-treated-alternative-3d.jpg  
Old 9th August 2019
You want symmetry as much as possible so I would prefer the left wall.
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear
Hmm, so like this?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1565306209
Attached Thumbnails
Treating a room with unusual shape, opinions apprecieated :)-untitled.jpg  
Old 9th August 2019
Quote:
Hmm, so like this?
Yes.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes, at least the space in front of your ears will be more symmetrical, which helps your stereo image and left/right tonal balance.
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Yes, at least the space in front of your ears will be more symmetrical, which helps your stereo image and left/right tonal balance.
Damn, I didn't actually expect the position under the sloped part to be the most symmetrical. I'm now even more glad I've asked you guys in here, thanks!

One more question though, in the room flooring have always been a thin carpet, but after all the years it's now dirty, ugly and so on :P So it's time to replace it. I wanted to go with wooden panels, as I heard that they are the best acoustically, especially in small rooms. Am I right? Do I need to choose anything particular, like type of wood?
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear
I don’t think you need to make any of the room surfaces more reflective. But the acoustic difference between a thin carpet and a hard floor isn’t going to be at the top of either your problems list or your solutions list. You could just make an aesthetic decision as to what is most visually appealing.
If it was an acoustic decision, I’d go with a very thick carpet with a carpet pad under it so thick you’d bounce when you walked. If you later feel that you need a more reflective surface, perhaps for recording acoustic guitar, you could have a square of plywood to lay down as a temporary thing.
Old 11th August 2019
Here for the gear
Alright, so I'll go with the panels. I still have some weeks left until the renovation, but when I finish the work I'll post here some photos of the outcome
Thanks again for the input!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search