The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bass Trap Build Progress
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Addict

Bass Trap Build Progress

I’ve been asking lots of questions lately so I thought I’d post some build progress. Attached is a picture of the floor-to-ceiling corner traps I built this week. I’m still waiting for a shipment of insulation so I can’t test them, but the frames are mechanically complete. I may stain them or cover them something for cosmetic reasons. I plan to make some wall-ceiling panels too out of my extra material (I bought too much). They are all 3/4” pine and 1/2” poplar. Crown staples and glue for everything and some extra wood screws in the heavy parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-412e33f6-8dbc-4476-92d5-709929cff078.jpg  
Old 5th July 2019
Why not post your progress all in one thread?
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Why not post your progress all in one thread?
I will. Once the other traps get started I’ll post them here as well.
Old 6th July 2019
Gear Addict

A little stain to match the monitor stands.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-60977d34-288a-4e37-bd32-4474b7aebaaf.jpg  
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Addict

I’m still waiting for my fiberglass panels so I built some chunk frames to go in the upper rear corners. These are 48” across on the hypotenuse, about 13.5” thick.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-6d9a1c58-9134-46e4-a3db-8b2923d58071.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-c101875d-504c-454f-a58a-7e1f8f77bb61.jpg  
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Addict

I’m really struggling to get a wrap that looks nice. Burlap is a lot harder to work with than expected so I may just switch to cotton bed sheets. I’m not pleased with how it’s coming out but everyone else seems to be. My girl says they look like a cool old high system from a yard sale.

The last time I did this I wrapped the whole frame but this time I wanted to try a different presentation. The next traps will be fully wrapped... no more fancy stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-ca342c6f-6207-4bba-81b6-8c657e3d0dfa.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-321826a0-c47e-474b-915c-c52f4d20feb4.jpg  
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Addict

Tried one with a bed sheet. I like the vibe of the burlap but the bed sheet was easier to get on. We used spray adhesive on the edges and perimeter of the back only. Not sure why my pictures are all rotated 90 degrees ?
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-0fe27d08-715a-470e-b07d-1f79c564c9f5.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-84dd1164-cebc-4c98-8532-04575b1e5028.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-2ad207d1-0512-4211-87ac-75ba2f38a2eb.jpg  
Old 11th July 2019
Here for the gear

Fabric is so ****ty... Wood quality is good, but get a better fabric, man
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAnikin View Post
Fabric is so ****ty... Wood quality is good, but get a better fabric, man
Too late. I just finished them 10 minutes ago. Finished is better than perfect. Thanks for the kind words.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-e134be08-88aa-4ec6-8ece-da2b4f9f245b.jpg  
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict

Getting some work in on my giant wedges. I’m sick of wrapping things in fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-b863847d-60b0-4b15-ab2d-7848a1ff94ee.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-dff0b5dc-2dfc-42bf-b7ed-0369e42b0498.jpg  
Old 14th July 2019
Gear Addict

Just have to hang them now
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-5c49e061-ecf5-4028-9951-2b763f45790a.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-b97a323c-fbb5-4c6c-bd29-88de65bbf84c.jpg  
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Addict

The corner wedges are hung but I’m behind schedule on my next round of panels. I need to pick up the pace a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-a584b990-2102-4a3a-921e-1c316888f19d.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-01e8cc25-8834-4345-8093-be6e3266f874.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-133899d1-f0c1-4803-8782-6fdbc1a5eb80.jpg  
Old 20th July 2019
Gear Addict

...and we are on to the panels for the wall-to-ceiling corners. For these I’m using 703 FRK.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-9b4761b3-436e-42fc-bd04-fa19f1abc3a5.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-5ba6cc1c-0e57-45c0-9a82-e3f15c180844.jpg  
Old 21st July 2019
Gear Addict

My plan for hanging the wall-ceiling traps failed so I decided to repurpose two of them to make a couple of absorbers for wall reflections. Should I put them on stands so they are centered vertically on the monitors or leave them on the floor so they provide some coverage of the wall-floor corners? These two panels use the last of my Rockboard 40. I’ll get back to the corner traps next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-bf4a0acc-edd2-435a-85ec-6a1d3acc4518.jpg  
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Addict

Ok. I took another swing at the wall/ceiling traps and hit a snag by blocking my door by a half inch. “Measure twice cut once” doesn’t help when you’re targeting the wrong dimension. I guess I should sketch three times.

Regardless, here is the prototype. I’m using a 2x3 as a cleat to catch the studs. I’ll have to trim the fiberglass for this panel by 1.5 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-73940c9f-5c57-484b-bebf-fca854e1c7d9.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-00f6e55e-ddae-4cfe-a9b3-53c7eb4440ef.jpg  

Last edited by BJosephs; 24th July 2019 at 03:49 PM..
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear
Thanks for the progress update man; looking really good.

It always makes me happy to see people progressing in their art and musical space. Good stuff. And the burlap doesn't look that bad; I think it looks better than the sheet lol. Brown is such a boring colour though, maybe when you update things in some years you can try a livelier colour next time.
Old 25th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
Thanks for the progress update man; looking really good.

It always makes me happy to see people progressing in their art and musical space. Good stuff. And the burlap doesn't look that bad; I think it looks better than the sheet lol. Brown is such a boring colour though, maybe when you update things in some years you can try a livelier colour next time.
Thanks for taking the time to say that. I'm just going to experiment with fabrics and colors and see what I like. What matters is the sound improvement. I'll re-wrap anything that I feel I need to in a year or so. I like the red, I'm doing a couple more in beige because I have the fabric, I might mix in a navy blue or whatever. I'm looking forward to finishing my traps because I want to try making some diffusers next
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJosephs View Post
... I'm looking forward to finishing my traps because I want to try making some diffusers next ...
Did you document any acoustical progress (step by step REW measurements) or do you just build all traps/diffusers first and then measure?

Honestly, we like to help
Old 26th July 2019
Gear Addict

Attached is set of four measurements: two from June when I started to lay out the room, two from tonight with about 60% of the planned trapping in place. I'm not sure why my earlier measurements have such a high relative SPL... I'm sure I didn't hit 120 db

Either way it looks like there's at least a small improvement so far.
Attached Files
File Type: mdat For GS Review.mdat (11.36 MB, 14 views)

Last edited by BJosephs; 26th July 2019 at 05:27 PM..
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, attached is set of four measurements: two from June when I started to lay out the room, two from tonight with about 60% of the planned trapping in place. I'm not sure why my earlier measurements have such a high relative SPL... I'm sure I didn't hit 120 db ...
Looks like you haven’t chosen Umik-1 as input in the june 28 measurement...
That means REW don’t know the mic sensitivity (actual SPL) and probably set kinda default level.Pic 1(Measurement Info)

I guess that will not affect these measured results much. Level is of course off, but can be estimated and set manually in the Impulse Tab.

2. Topt. Left spkr Comparison june 28 and jul 25. Soft absorption so called "bass traps" (in advertising) will bring room decay down fairly quick (except in the low end ) You are already down to around 0.2s above 100 Hz so be careful.

3. WF Left spkr jul 25. (Calculated room mode freq. as coloured bars)
4. WF Comparison L & R jul 25

Hope that helps a little
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-1.-input-diff.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-2.-topt-l-jul-25-vs-jun28.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-3.-jul-25-r-spk.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-4.-l-r-wf-25jul.jpg  

Last edited by akebrake; 26th July 2019 at 07:22 PM..
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by akebrake View Post

2. Topt. Left spkr Comparison june 28 and jul 25. Soft absorption so called "bass traps" (in advertising) will bring room decay down fairly quick (except in the low end ) You are already down to around 0.2s above 100 Hz so be careful.
Bolded by me.
Can you clarify it? Are you saying it's a low decay and he should aim for a higher value (in that case, how much?) ?
Or are you saying the difference between low frequencies (below 100hz and above) is now even more pronounced since we want an even decay across the whole spectrum.
Old 26th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Bolded by me.
Can you clarify it? Are you saying it's a low decay and he should aim for a higher value (in that case, how much?) ?
Or are you saying the difference between low frequencies (below 100hz and above) is now even more pronounced since we want an even decay across the whole spectrum.
The same question occurred to me as well. I'm guessing that the caution here is that the room will end up very dead sounding long before I get the <100Hz decay times down. My next few traps will be FRK covered and somewhat reflective and I think I should be able to add so reflective panels to the fronts of a few traps (With slots or holes) to bring some highs back. Hopefully akebrake will clarify.
Old 26th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Looks like you haven’t chosen Umik-1 as input in the june 28 measurement...

That means REW don’t know the mic sensitivity (actual SPL) and probably set kinda default level.Pic 1(Measurement Info)

I guess that will not affect these measured results so much. Level is of course off, but can be estimated and set manually in the Impulse Tab.
Thanks for solving that mystery. When I get home I'll see if I can adjust the levels back down to make comparisons a bit easier. I don't remember setting the Umik-1 as the input device for later measurements though. Thank you.

Quote:

3. WF Left spkr jul 25. (Calculated room mode freq. as coloured bars)
4. WF Comparison L & R jul 25

Hope that helps a little
Left has always looked a bit worse than right to me, regardless of changes. The right speaker is in front of a window that I think doesn't reflect back low frequencies like the drywall on the left side. There is also a closet next to the right hand speaker that is probably not acting like quite as rigid a boundary. I was hoping the red traps would help even them out. Any thoughts on that notch at 185Hz on the right side? Thanks for the help!
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear
Dimensions of your room?
Old 26th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Dimensions of your room?
10'3" wide, 10'6" long, 8'3" tall
Old 26th July 2019
Gear Addict

Finally got a wall to ceiling trap up last night. Here’s a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-b152af48-20db-4a01-ae83-437be3066e99.jpg  
Old 27th July 2019
Gear Addict

Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-a409d483-85c1-44be-80aa-e2422e989d4b.jpg  
Old 28th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Bolded by me.
Yes, it's quite low already and the room is not finished yet. At least try to keep it 0.2 s

Quote:
The lower one goes above 100 Hz the trickier it is to balance that to the low end.
Old 28th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The same question occurred to me as well. I'm guessing that the caution here is that the room will end up very dead sounding long before I get the <100Hz decay times down.
Seems like you are aware of the "over trapped room" syndrome.

Soft traps are a simple and cheap ”band aid” for attenuating mid-high frequency reflections.
Unfortunately soft traps need to be very LARGE and DEEP in order to tame the longer wavelength. So they need companion of traps which take care of the low end. Space is often a challenge.

Quote:
My next few traps will be FRK covered and somewhat reflective and I think I should be able to add so reflective panels to the fronts of a few traps (With slots or holes) to bring some highs back.
Good idea! The trick is to angle/ spread/ scatter these reflections to avoid strong specular (mirror like) ones toward the listening position. Check what happens with help of the ETC graph. (Filtered IR tab in REW)
Old 28th July 2019
Gear Addict

Any thoughts on how I should direct my next traps? Assuming I stay out of most of the floor corners due to space I have two remaining wall/ ceiling corners (left and right of listening position, maybe 5’ of linear space) and two rear corners from the floor to about 6’ up. One of those corners is the only door in and out so I’d need a moveable panel or maybe something on a pivot. The other rear corner could take a refrigerator sized trap if I were so inclined.

I have enough 703 to do three more 4’ panels or two 6’ panels. I can get all the pink fluffy I need. Panels in the back and soffits at the ceiling? Or break the symmetry and do a soffit in one rear corner and panel in the other? I do have some blank wall space as well. And I still haven’t treated my ceiling reflections

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search