The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bass Trap Build Progress
Old 28th July 2019
Lives for gear
Any new measurements to share after doing this new treatment?
Old 28th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Any new measurements to share after doing this new treatment?
Working on it. I had to move things around to mount that last trap and now my measurements look weird so I’m double checking placement.
Old 28th July 2019
Gear Addict

I can't tell if things are better or worse

Edit: it seems unlikely that the room is getting worse, more likely that my measurements are not consistent.
Attached Files
File Type: mdat 7_28_19B.mdat (5.63 MB, 15 views)
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJosephs View Post
I can't tell if things are better or worse...
To me it looks a bit smoother
(But you're not finished yet...)

Freq.response before /after (Overlay) the latest trap addition.
Variable smoothing used.

Pic 1. Left spkr: 26jul (red) 28jul (green)
Pic 2. Right spkr 26jul (green) 28 jul (blu)

What is the current positions of spkr / mic?
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-all-spl-l-jul-25-vs-jul-28.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-all-spl-r-jul-25-vs-28.jpg  
Old 29th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by akebrake View Post
To me it looks a bit smoother
(But you're not finished yet...)

Freq.response before /after (Overlay) the latest trap addition.
Variable smoothing used.

Pic 1. Left spkr: 26jul (red) 28jul (green)
Pic 2. Right spkr 26jul (green) 28 jul (blu)

What is the current positions of spkr / mic?
Thanks. I see now that the left side looks better but the right side still seems worse. Regardless the mic is just forward (closer to speakers) of the middle of the room front to back, centered left right, and about 38” off the floor. The tip of the mic is at the point of the theoretical equilateral triangle but my head would be inside the triangle in the listening position. The speakers are 5’ apart and 5’ from the mic each, about 3” from the front wall.
Old 30th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
and about 38” off the floor. The tip of the mic is at the point of the theoretical equilateral triangle but my head would be inside the triangle in the listening position.
Two things about that: your mic tip should be at 47 1/4" above the floor (120cm), which is the "standard" measuring height, as that's ear height for most people when seated.

And second, don't put too much faith in the "theoretical equilateral triangle"... its yet another myth that all rooms must always be set up exactly like that: It does work for the majority of rooms, yes, but it isn't optimal in the majority of rooms. Take that as a starting point, and look for better layouts...

- Stuart -
Old 30th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Regardless the mic is just forward (closer to speakers) of the middle of the room front to back,
Try a spot a bit closer still to the front wall, at about 35 to 40% of the room length (front to back). Once again, the theoretical spot is 38%, but that's also just a starting point, not a "carved in stone" rule.

- Stuart -
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Addict

OK. I raised the mic up to 47" and moved my seat to about 4' from the front wall (~40% of a 10' room). Attached are my latest measurements.
Attached Files
File Type: mdat Jul 30 20_35_08.mdat (2.82 MB, 14 views)

Last edited by BJosephs; 31st July 2019 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: Removed depressing tone
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJosephs View Post
OK. I raised the mic up to 47" and moved my seat to about 4' from the front wall (~40% of a 10' room). Attached are my latest measurements.
Which speaker is this? L, R or both?

Are the speakers moved after jul 28 meas?

Pic below jul 30 vs jul 28 mdat

Coloured modal bars
Red: axial Length
Green: ax Width
Blu: ax Hight

Note: only three below 100 Hz
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-l-28jul-vs-30jul-w-bars.jpg  

Last edited by akebrake; 31st July 2019 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: plot added
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Which speaker is this? L, R or both?
The file should have had two measurements. Not sure what happened, I'll take a look when I get home.

Quote:
Are the speakers moved after jul 28 meas?
Still in the same location, toed in a bit more to account for the shorter listening distance.

Quote:
Pic below jul 30 vs jul 28 mdat

Coloured modal bars
Red: axial Length
Green: ax Width
Blu: ax Hight

Note: only three below 100 Hz
"Only" makes it sound like good news. Is it?

Thanks again,
Brian

Last edited by BJosephs; 31st July 2019 at 10:58 PM..
Old 3rd August 2019
Gear Addict

Newest file, should have a measurement for left, right, and both.
Attached Files
File Type: mdat Aug 2 19_34_07.mdat (8.43 MB, 15 views)

Last edited by BJosephs; 3rd August 2019 at 06:02 AM..
Old 5th August 2019
Gear Addict

I’m nearing completion of a cloud for ceiling first reflections. It’s 12.5” of r19 (four 6 foot strips) in a coffin sized pine frame. I haven’t figured out how to hang it just yet. I don’t want to cut into the ceiling so I’m leaning toward eye hooks on the ends and chain or wire-rope to cleats on the side walls. This will obstruct space that could be used for trapping but I’m just about out of material and patience anyway.

Until I hang it, in this corner it shall live.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-335f5b16-31ff-4007-91e1-553e7b49a781.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-ac7a168a-f52c-4a7b-b5d1-20bc9e5a8717.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-2cb59ae8-ecc0-4c32-bf23-da6fa5d0773c.jpg  
Old 17th August 2019
Gear Addict

I still haven’t hung that cloud but I decided to use the last of my 703FRK for side wall to ceiling corners. I made those frames but haven’t wrapped them yet. The cleats are up for mounting and I finally added some quick and dirty feet to my side panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-02300850-30c0-4893-8ede-5306ca25aeca.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-20d3ec38-a641-466f-b081-639fac9c6c00.jpg  
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Addict

Two more panels to hang tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Bass Trap Build Progress-8796c1d0-ee57-4753-8c0a-ec0e0ce119f8.jpg   Bass Trap Build Progress-4b99d48e-52c6-4aa2-8d5e-32ec73418f05.jpg  
Old 19th August 2019
Gear Addict

In case anyone is still following along, here are my latest measurements. I haven't hung my ceiling cloud yet but I did add the wall-to-ceiling panels today.
Attached Files
File Type: mdat 8_18_19.mdat (7.15 MB, 11 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search