The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Final Green Glue Install Qs Before Drywall Crew Arrives
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Final Green Glue Install Qs Before Drywall Crew Arrives

I'm planning to be on site working alongside to make sure the guys hanging the drywall do it right. I'm even hoping to get one of their crew assigned to work alongside me. I'm us two layers of 5/8" with GG and the GG specialized caulk for perimeters. It'll be two tubes per 4x8 sheet.

A few final clarifying questions:

1. Do I want to leave a 1/8" gap between each sheet and the floor and between each sheet for the acoustic caulk? Or do I just use the caulk in places where the drywallers end up leaving that gap before they tape?

2. I'm pretty sure there is no need to tape the first layer of drywall and to just use the acoustic caulk. Correct? We will, of course, be placing the second sheet over the joints of the first layer.

3. If I'm using caulk in the corner joints, is there any reason not to tool the product assuming I can keep a good thick layer covering the joint?

4. How long should I let the products cure before I can paint?

Thanks thanks
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Shoot. Just re-reading the installation instructions and see it does recommend using mud: " it is recommended that you seal the seams between sheets."

Drywall crews hang so fast...I doubt they will want to wait for the mud to dry.

If I'm staggering the 2nd layer over the seams of the 1st layer, will I be okay?
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Bump.

Almost every thread I've read in GS highly reccomends GG "if installed correctly." I take that to mean that some are not using it properly, those who in hindsight have made mistakes.

I'm trying to avoid such mistakes. Those who have used it, please chime in here.

Thanks!,

jb
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Addict

bump
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear
It's hard to say for sure, but my guess is you will be fine...

But you could also get the bags of mud that are still powder that you mix up, they make a quick dry that dries in like 20mins. It's pain to work with because it drys while your putting it up. That's what we've used when we want to put the next sheets on quick. I doubt it needs to completely dry either. Drywall can permeate some moisture and there isn't much in there. I live in a pretty dry climate though so mold etc isn't a big concern here.
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear
They even make a 5min set time-

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sheetroc...0060/202329628
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Thanks Ryan C.

GS can be so strangely frustrating. You post a thought to be chatty and join a discussion, you get someone who writes a long book with so much detail that proves how incredibly smart they are...just detail that is above my pay grade, info/detail that I don't need to know, detail I wasn't even asking for.

Then when I need some detail...

...crickets

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search