The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Dealing with flutter echo, need symmetry?
Old 24th June 2019
Gear Nut

Dealing with flutter echo, need symmetry?

Hi everyone!

I have a quite nasty flutter echo/ring between two bare surfaces in my mix room. It is between the upper half of the rear side walls.

I have two 242 GIK Acoustic panels that I want to use to treat it with, one for each side wall.

My question is, do they need to be mounted exactly symmetrical or can I offset the panels height wise so that they cover more wall space? Hang the left one close to the ceiling and the right one further down the wall.

If I offset the panels like this, will it mess up my stereo image somehow, because the rear side walls will be somewhat assymetrical? Or can I just go ahead?

Thank you for your advice!

EDIT: The furniture in the room isn’t really symmetrical either, my colleage have her desk against the left wall, so maybe these two panels won’t mess it up more than that allready is doing?

Last edited by pettah93; 24th June 2019 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Added some
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear

In the back symmetry is not paramount. Divide the walls into 2 equal areas and place one in the middle of the upper area and the middle of the lower area on the opposite wall.

Enjoy!
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettah93 View Post
Hi everyone!

I have a quite nasty flutter echo/ring between two bare surfaces in my mix room. It is between the upper half of the rear side walls.

I have two 242 GIK Acoustic panels that I want to use to treat it with, one for each side wall.

My question is, do they need to be mounted exactly symmetrical or can I offset the panels height wise so that they cover more wall space? Hang the left one close to the ceiling and the right one further down the wall.

If I offset the panels like this, will it mess up my stereo image somehow, because the rear side walls will be somewhat assymetrical? Or can I just go ahead?

Thank you for your advice!

EDIT: The furniture in the room isn’t really symmetrical either, my colleage have her desk against the left wall, so maybe these two panels won’t mess it up more than that allready is doing?
Hello,

How had you detected the flutter echo?
Old 24th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
In the back symmetry is not paramount. Divide the walls into 2 equal areas and place one in the middle of the upper area and the middle of the lower area on the opposite wall.

Enjoy!
Great!! Thank you for a quick and great reply!
Old 24th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Hello,

How had you detected the flutter echo?
Through the speakers I hear it when playing louder transient sounds. And when clapping in the room it is extremely loud and ringy. When clapping just by the speaker, seated in the listening position, it’s definetly softer but still there.

I know it is not critical to remove it for my mixing but I also record in the same room sometimes so I’d be happy to get rid of it!
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear
Thanks.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Nut

Now they are up and I couldn't be happier!
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Congratulations. A more detailed report would be appreciated for learning acoustics.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Congratulations. A more detailed report would be appreciated for people learning acoustics.
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Congratulations. A more detailed report would be appreciated for people learning acoustics.
Oh of course!

Here is the treatment I had before installing the new ones:
My room is treated with GIK 242 panels at the first reflection points, left, right and cloud. I have a thick GIK monster trap for the first reflection on the rear wall right behind me, and finally I have two 244 bass traps in the front corners. (Unfortunately can't place more in the back corners because of the room but I will try to work out how I can fit it in.)

Okay to the flutter echo! I followed your advice and placed the left 242 closer to the ceiling and the right further down to cover more wall space. This eliminated all the flutter echo when sitting by the mix position. But when clapping in the middle of the room a little bit of it was still there. So I tried moving one of them a bit to the side as well and that completely removed all the flutter echo from the room.

Feels great!
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Congratulations again and thank you for the report!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search