The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
REW input level Question
Old 22nd June 2019
Here for the gear

REW input level Question

Hello all,

Curious, when using REW it states on the measurement meter (DBL meter) that we are to use an external meter and not to use the spl/dbl meter built into rew..

Little confusion and i don't know if the meter in the program is accurate compared to the spl meter on my phone.

BTW:using sonarworks mic with calibration file. if someone has a link or so to another thread that explains it feel free to share as i could not find one discussion that part of the program

thank you!
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Reference SPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaminyte View Post
Hello all,

Curious, when using REW it states on the measurement meter (DBL meter) that we are to use an external meter and not to use the spl/dbl meter built into rew..
REW software does not "know" what kind of mic you are going to use. And the gain through your system... (mic gain etc)

So, in order to show a correct ”dB SPL” level on the meter you need a reference signal with known dBSPL..
Then plug that number into REW. ”SPL Calibration”

Or if you use an USB mic with Cal file (FR & Sensitivity) this calibration is done automatically.

Quote:
Little confusion and i don't know if the meter in the program is accurate compared to the spl meter on my phone.
Do you trust your phone? I guess you haven't calibrated your phone either...
Phones do not have built in flat, omnidirectional measuring microphones but rather mics suited for good voice communication. It can give you a rough figure about the SPL. "Normal" voice @ 1 ft is around 70dBA slow
Is the SPL important to you?

Quote:
BTW:using sonarworks mic with calibration file. if someone has a link or so to another thread that explains it feel free to share as i could not find one discussion that part of the program
SW mic has a cal file for Freq Response but AFAIK you still don’t know the SPL (Sound pressure level)

Hope that helps

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search