The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Room size question for a new studio space
Old 19th June 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Question Room size question for a new studio space

Hi,

Hope everyone is doing well. Posting after a long time!

So, I am in a situation where I foresee myself moving to a new house in near future, which means I am anxious about the most important change - home studio space.

My current room dimensions are: 14' (L) x 12' (W) x ~10.5' (H) - I find this pretty decent to work in. I don't record much and when I do, it is mostly vocals.

The new room dimensions would be: 13' (L) x 11' (W) x 9' (H)

As per some reading, I see that the new room dimensions are slightly better, although lower, as the numbers are not divisible by each other and don't have a common divisor.

Will the lower dimensions cause any major issues? Would you recommend the new room purely based on the dimensions comparison?

Please note that I will have very basic acoustic treatment at the first reflection points and on the wall joints behind the speakers (4 panels in total). If possible, I would like to extend the treatment a bit in future. But for now I am worried if the new room is decent enough.

It is one of the few important factors (first being the budget, obviously!) that will make or break my decision to move into the new house, which is otherwise very good.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by LoveEnigma; 19th June 2019 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: added some info
Old 19th June 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Those dimensions wil be fine acoustically.
Old 19th June 2019
  #3
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
The problem you are going to run into with this room is it just being small. Plan on as much bass trapping as you can manage in the corners, early reflection point treatment and THICK absorption on the wall behind where you sit. Also being set up properly in the room is going to give you a fighting changes. See the following.
https://www.gikacoustics.com/basics-...ls-bass-traps/
Old 20th June 2019
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Those dimensions wil be fine acoustically.
Thank you, that's good to know.
Old 20th June 2019
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
The problem you are going to run into with this room is it just being small. Plan on as much bass trapping as you can manage in the corners, early reflection point treatment and THICK absorption on the wall behind where you sit. See the following.
https://www.gikacoustics.com/basics-...ls-bass-traps/
Thank you for the suggestions and link. I will keep them in mind. Do you have a authorized dealer in India?

Yes, I admit it is smaller than I would want. I am still trying to find a house with better dimensions. But home studio is just one of the many things that I have to consider, as I have a family.

Do you think the new dimensions will fare slightly better than my existing room dimensions despite the new room being smaller?

Quote:
Also being set up properly in the room is going to give you a fighting changes.
Sorry, but I did not understand this. Could you please elaborate a bit?

EDIT: One more question: With some acoustic treatment, will Yamaha HS7 sound good in this new (13x11x9) room? Difficult to tell perhaps, but in case you (or anyone) can tell.

Last edited by LoveEnigma; 20th June 2019 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: one more question
Old 20th June 2019
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEnigma View Post
Thank you for the suggestions and link. I will keep them in mind. Do you have a authorized dealer in India?

Yes, I admit it is smaller than I would want. I am still trying to find a house with better dimensions. But home studio is just one of the many things that I have to consider, as I have a family.

Do you think the new dimensions will fare slightly better than my existing room dimensions despite the new room being smaller?



Sorry, but I did not understand this. Could you please elaborate a bit?

EDIT: One more question: With some acoustic treatment, will Yamaha HS7 sound good in this new (13x11x9) room? Difficult to tell perhaps, but in case you (or anyone) can tell.
We don't have a dealer in India but please feel free to contract our UK office and they can help you.
https://gikacoustics.co.uk/
https://gikacoustics.co.uk/contact/


-I don't think the dimensions are any worse or better. I being smaller is what is going to make it harder to control. Basically the small the room gets the worse the low end response will be. That is a general statement so.........

As far as set up I am referring to speaker and seating location. The article I posted goes over that also.
Old 20th June 2019
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
We don't have a dealer in India but please feel free to contract our UK office and they can help you.
https://gikacoustics.co.uk/
https://gikacoustics.co.uk/contact/


-I don't think the dimensions are any worse or better. I being smaller is what is going to make it harder to control. Basically the small the room gets the worse the low end response will be. That is a general statement so.........

As far as set up I am referring to speaker and seating location. The article I posted goes over that also.

Okay, thank you. I see that you ship worldwide, but I am not seeing many countries. I will get it touch though. But I guess shipping will be too expensive for me. :(

Hmmm, I understand your point and that's what I am worried about from within when talking about the new room. Low end is almost always the major issue for most people. I am ready to do some minimal treatment, as much as I can afford.

Yeah, I do understand about speaker and seating position. However, smaller room might make this slightly difficult.

If possible and within the scope of this topic, could you please suggest what is the minimum acoustic stuff I would need? I currently have 4 DIY panels installed at the first reflection points on either sides of my sitting position. I don't have any bass traps, but I think for the smaller room I would need to add them. I would really appreciate if you could suggest an approximate minimum number and type of panels needed. I am still hopeful of getting GIK acoustic treatment, as I don't want to spend time on creating non-good looking DIY panels. Yes, I can make better ones if I spend more time and efforts, but can't match professionally created ones.
Old 27th June 2019
  #8
Gear Head
 

Hi LoveEnigma,
I have a similarly sized room that I just treated with GIK Acoustics and I am very pleased with the results. My room is a few feet longer but my ceiling is 1 foot shorter.
Here's what I did in two phases (due to budget constraints):
1. I ordered Room Package #1 and used the (4) 4" thick panels for direct reflection points to the right and left of my listening position, 1 directly in front, and one is a cloud above pretty much even with the side panels. I used the pink noise file from their site and a decibel meter to determine where I should place them and filled in the gaps with the 2" panels. The monster trap is centered on the back wall and I had mine configured with a scatter plate because I wanted to keep some life in the room.
2. Second order was (4) Impression series corner traps. I was originally going to order the TriTraps but once configured with scatter plates they come very close in price to the impression series. I also wanted the room to look a little more inviting so the patterns helped with the aesthetic I was going for.

I have (6) 2" DIY panels that I ended up moving to another room because once the above 2 orders were installed I was pretty happy with the results. I am confident I will be adding more because this is a seemingly endless rabbit hole I decided to go down...

My room was almost unlistenable when I first moved in. It was aural chaos. After treatment, it is a very enjoyable room to be in. Bass is tight and I hear what is actually coming out of my monitors. I feel like I got my money's worth for sure. I also forget what daylight looks like.

Hope this helps.
Old 8th August 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrasource View Post
Hi LoveEnigma,
I have a similarly sized room that I just treated with GIK Acoustics and I am very pleased with the results. My room is a few feet longer but my ceiling is 1 foot shorter.
Here's what I did in two phases (due to budget constraints):
1. I ordered Room Package #1 and used the (4) 4" thick panels for direct reflection points to the right and left of my listening position, 1 directly in front, and one is a cloud above pretty much even with the side panels. I used the pink noise file from their site and a decibel meter to determine where I should place them and filled in the gaps with the 2" panels. The monster trap is centered on the back wall and I had mine configured with a scatter plate because I wanted to keep some life in the room.
2. Second order was (4) Impression series corner traps. I was originally going to order the TriTraps but once configured with scatter plates they come very close in price to the impression series. I also wanted the room to look a little more inviting so the patterns helped with the aesthetic I was going for.

I have (6) 2" DIY panels that I ended up moving to another room because once the above 2 orders were installed I was pretty happy with the results. I am confident I will be adding more because this is a seemingly endless rabbit hole I decided to go down...

My room was almost unlistenable when I first moved in. It was aural chaos. After treatment, it is a very enjoyable room to be in. Bass is tight and I hear what is actually coming out of my monitors. I feel like I got my money's worth for sure. I also forget what daylight looks like.

Hope this helps.
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks a lot for your time and suggestions. Great to know that you are happy and satisfied with the results. Unfortunately, GIK acoustics isn't available in my country. So, I will have to go with some other option. There's still 2 months of time for me to decide on something.

Thanks again. Wish you good luck in your new studio!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump