The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Big space to build many small itb studios, need help!
Old 4 weeks ago
Big space to build many small itb studios, need help!

Hey guys,
I have the chance to get a big place and build multiple studios in there, which would be rented for a cool price to young laptop/electronic producers who cant work in there tiny appartement with ****ty paper thin walls, or simply don't have the money to get correct pricey speakers and acoustic treatments.

So the idea is that the rooms will be well built, box in the box, plus flashy vicoustic treatments and bass traps, one table and a great pair of speakers with enough sub+ great DA or correct soundcard.
That's it: plug in on the usb soundcard and work in a sonically neutral environnement with the bare minimum but high grade enough to be able to produce professionally without annoying anyone.

No need for racks, synths, guitare etc for those particular rooms.

So theorically what would be the minimum size to still really be able to work on lowend/subs?
I want to provide real working rooms and not cutting corners... unless if it's for acustic reasons!

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The general guideline is 200sf and 2000 cubic feet (~18sm 56 cubic m). Good rooms can be made smaller, but require progressively more and more treatment, so not likely any cheaper.

Also keep in mind HVAC (crucial to not forget the ventilation). If you figure a baseline price for a room, no matter how small, to be wired, lighted, independent framed, treated, ventilated, and climate controlled, I think you will have a hard time doing any room for less than 15-20k no matter how small. In my view the ROI really goes down trying to get much below 200sf. Better to charge a little more and have rooms that are a little more spacious and sound better.

The studio I'm building is somewhat along these lines, multi room, multi op with a lot of flex use with a lot of our needs being production/writing suites. Another advantage to keep in mind to a slightly larger room is they are big enough for people who teach various instrumental lessons.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
The general guideline is 200sf and 2000 cubic feet (~18sm 56 cubic m). Good rooms can be made smaller, but require progressively more and more treatment, so not likely any cheaper.

Also keep in mind HVAC (crucial to not forget the ventilation). If you figure a baseline price for a room, no matter how small, to be wired, lighted, independent framed, treated, ventilated, and climate controlled, I think you will have a hard time doing any room for less than 15-20k no matter how small. In my view the ROI really goes down trying to get much below 200sf. Better to charge a little more and have rooms that are a little more spacious and sound better.

The studio I'm building is somewhat along these lines, multi room, multi op with a lot of flex use with a lot of our needs being production/writing suites. Another advantage to keep in mind to a slightly larger room is they are big enough for people who teach various instrumental lessons.
Really a big big thank you! That’s exactly the infos I needed. It’ll be very useful to begin the very first plans.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Post photos once the building starts.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Post photos once the building starts.
I'll do! But to be honest we're at an early stage right now and many questions remains; we're doing some research to exactly define what our young clients really need and can afford, so the size and form of the whole project can still vary a lot...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think >200 sq ft is a good number to aim for as mentioned with 10 ft+ ceiling.

What city are you in? There are a few of these types of places in LA. You really need to identify the local market to be successful.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Don't make them rectangles. Angle or curve the walls between them. Concrete & Sand is your friend.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
hire an acoustician.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
I think >200 sq ft is a good number to aim for as mentioned with 10 ft+ ceiling.

What city are you in? There are a few of these types of places in LA. You really need to identify the local market to be successful.
I'm in France, we already identify our market, we're now talking with those peoples to really pinpoint their needs. Lot's of ideas but I really can't say more right now even If I wanted to I need to keep some things private for now, competition is tough where we are

Can you please point me to those places in LA so I can see different implementations of this idea of multiop flexible studios for electronic producers?
I'm really curious to see what's already been done there by forward thinking peoples...

Also, I'm just scratching the surface of Dante solutions to add flexibility and ease of use to collaborate and work fast; any important info I would need to know about this tech which could impact the building? Do I need a server room for exemple or no?

Plus not totally related but what's the best way to allow many producers using Ableton to coproduce together in real time from their different rooms?
Does Dante+ Ableton Link combo works over ethernet?
Any thread here or youtube video expanding on that? (I'm looking but didn't found meaningful videos yet...)

Plus a last question; would a 200sft room properly treated be enough to record a real drumset properly? The idea is that sometimes a producer room could be transformed into a recording cabine remotely connected via Dante to other rooms in the building...

Thank you very very much guys for your help!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I've seen some of these types of spaces in LA as well, can't remember any names right now.

Dante is pretty straight forward, you only need a switch that supports QOS (most do) and dante interfaces. There is DVS, a dante interface that uses built in network card, but it doesn't support the lowest latencies and then dedicated dante interfaces (focusrite, RME etc) that do. I wouldn't say you need a machine room, but a closet space might be a good idea just to keep things tidy. Dante provides a good way to send real time audio from any one room, to any number of other rooms. Where my build is somewhat similar to what you're looking to do, for me Dante will make it possible to combine 3, 4 or even 5 rooms for large sessions, but also a 'booth' can have a workstation in it and be a production suite.

200sf is on the small side for drums, especially if the room also has a computer desk/workstation in it. That said I have a big booth, that is 230sf with no computer and 11.5' it certainly is plenty big for drums. In my build the main room for drums though will be 650sf. This big room will also have a computer/workstation and will be used as a writing/prod room.

Last edited by RyanC; 3 weeks ago at 05:06 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search