The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Opening Recording Studio
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear
Opening Recording Studio

Hi! My name is Daniel, im new here..
Few days ago i decided to open my own recording studio (on budget) i found place where i can do it, i got some equipment already wich was in my home studio

-Rode Nt1a
-Yamaha Hs7
-Focus Scarlett 2i2
-Mic Stand
-Monitors Stands
and computer

but the plan is to upgrade it and make semi-pro recording studio in container i gonna sound proof it well, my budget is about 4k without soundproofing it..but i dont know what gear should i get, is anyone able to help me please!?
What pre amp should i get, what mixer? do i need mixer actually? or pre amp and audio interface is okay? will 2 mics be enough? Could someone help me do the setup please big please, and big thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

No offense or anything, but if you're asking those types of questions about gear, then it shows you probably shouldn't be jumping straight into running a recording studio. I'm thinking English may not be your first language, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you (do?) want to (treat?) it as best you can.

Don't spend any money on treating it. That means no foam either. Go back to the drawing board and keep studying things like signal flow, so then you will understand your current gear and where to go from there. I did the same thing, and I started on a focusrite like you!

Tldr: Close that studio asap and study up. You're gonna lose potential clients if they come in and see your 100 dollar 2i2, Rode, and no knowledge to back anything up. You can record solo vocalists or SMALL groups with that level of IO capability. If you're running a recording studio, you're gonna want to have MORE resources and knowledge than the average client you get, because you're the one they're gonna have to rely on!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixsa View Post
No offense or anything, but if you're asking those types of questions about gear, then it shows you probably shouldn't be jumping straight into running a recording studio... Tldr: Close that studio asap and study up.!
^ This.

@ Szorek ...you seem to be at the early stage of the "journey" where it's very easy to take a wrong turn and waste what limited budget you have on bad decisions. Most of us here have been there and done that to some extent

Try to calm your enthusiasm just a little, take some time to plan ahead carefully and as the poster above says, "study up" before you commit to any decisions.

Your plan is currently perhaps too early and too vague for anyone here to offer useful help. My own observations are:
  • Your equipment list seems very basic for a semi-pro studio. That's not to say you can't produce great music using such equipment, but it appears to be what we might find in a typical bedroom set up, rather than a studio we would be happy to pay money for using. I suggest browsing other forums on Gearslutz for advice on equipment (Low End Theory and Newbie Audio Engineering are great places to start).
  • I think you need to set aside at least half of your 2K budget for acoustic treatment. Yes, that may seem like a lot; and yes, acoustic treatment can seem very 'boring'... there will always be far sexier gear tempting your money! But without proper treatment, you gear will never perform at its best, and your mixes will always have problems translating. Plan your acoustic treatment carefully and be prepared to build your own (or find someone who can help you build what is needed for beer money).

As first steps, you need to:
  1. Read the stickies at the top of this forum.
  2. Draw a detailed plan of your room.
  3. Take some acoustic measurements of the room (whilst it is empty).
  4. Then post the information here... at which point, people will be able to help
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

you are nowhere near being ready yet.

who is your market? why would they hire you? your equipment is basement level and limited, and you don't know what you are doing.

not trying to discourage you. just saying you need a lot of work before you decide to open up your own studio.

if you are planning to record bands, you are nowhere within the solar system of being ready, and you will need at least eight mics (not two). even that is barely getting by.

you should volunteer to assist in a real studio for free for six months. you need knowledge more than anything.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
#1 Learn about setting up a proper monitoring environment and protect your hearing.
#2 You need to learn in a real world situation. Working for nothing will be much cheaper than trying to buy hear yourself.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Mister, the OP has wrote "and computer...."

So, the criticize of the equipment has not place here.

The container is a space full of vibrations. Not sure it's a good idea without money.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search