The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
vpr testing in small room
Old 31st October 2019
  #31
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by datal4b View Post
against popular opinion i am running 2 adam sub12s directly under my s3h. it sounds wicked af... bass hole is gone.
mdats or didn't happen...
Old 31st October 2019
  #32
Here for the gear
 
datal4b's Avatar
 

heh heh i’m down for it... how should i do it? L main & L sub at the same time?

also i lost my little foam for the mic head do you think that matters
Old 1st November 2019
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Wouldn't recommend it. Also would be better to buy one $1000 sub than two $500 subs if you actually want something cleaner & tighter.
I disagree.

I´d much rather use two cheaper subs (and a DSP) than one double the price. Here´s why:

Add a sub instead of even more bass trapping to even out freq response?

I recently helped a plug-in developer here in Stockholm with a ridiculously small room they didn’t feel like redoing in terms of treatment, but the addition of two cheep (650 $) subs, a simple DSP (300 $) and a careful calibration transformed that room from “unusable” to “not bad at all”.

But having said that; I naturally generally think that you first need to treat the room properly, then start to worry about speaker system, just to be clear …
Old 1st November 2019
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
I really need to start reading the entire thread before posting …

Quote:
Originally Posted by datal4b View Post
against popular opinion i am running 2 adam sub12s directly under my s3h. it sounds wicked af... bass hole is gone. i'm totally untrained in the intricacies of acoustics but the mains sound clearer now actually.


https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...t-control-room

"no room is too small for this..."


seems to be true for me
Not surprised at all (see my post above).
Old 1st November 2019
  #35
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by datal4b View Post
heh heh i’m down for it... how should i do it? L main & L sub at the same time?

also i lost my little foam for the mic head do you think that matters
I would vote for L+Lsub R+Rsub and R+L with both subs. The last one you can measure 20-200 or so. It's always cool to see the results people are getting, thanks for sharing-
Old 2nd November 2019
  #36
Here for the gear
 
datal4b's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
transformed that room from “unusable” to “not bad at all”
this is how i’m feeling about it now, music feels real now like before the subs it was some obscured thing i could only remember from the past not to mention depressing after dropping 6k on a pair of speakers... it was just momentarily misplaced luckily

i did some work on my “vpr”s i got them hanging from 1mm wire inside a frame so the foam is now completely flush with the wall in the back of the room on either side of the corner trap where low freq is the loudest in the room. i’m not sure if they are working or not with them being suspended and all but i know for sure they couldn’t of been doing anything before because there was so much foam not touching the wall just trying to lean it. not willing to test with and without in the room they were semi b*tch to mount up proper

rew coming sooN
Old 2nd November 2019
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
The last one you can measure 20-200 or so.
I see no reason to restrict the frequency range of the sweep. Always do full range sweep (10 Hz to 20 kHz or higher). You never know what you want to check later in a measurement. We can always zoom in the range of interest if full range sweep.

The only reason I can think of to limit the sweep range is if you’re fiddling with some setting (X-over between subs and sats for example) and want to do many sweeps as quickly as possible but then I would personally just use shorter sweep length.
Old 2nd November 2019
  #38
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
The only reason I can think of to limit the sweep range is if you’re fiddling with some setting (X-over between subs and sats for example) and want to do many sweeps as quickly as possible but then I would personally just use shorter sweep length.
Funny I was thinking that when I posted, but figured that would be the main area of interest, and didn't want the OP to see comb filtering between left and right up higher and think the measurement was bad.

So I guess the other reason to restrict the range would be laziness on my part...
Old 2nd November 2019
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Jens Eklund's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Funny I was thinking that when I posted, but figured that would be the main area of interest, and didn't want the OP to see comb filtering between left and right up higher and think the measurement was bad.

So I guess the other reason to restrict the range would be laziness on my part...
Ok, I guess one more valid reason.
Old 2nd November 2019
  #40
Here for the gear
 
datal4b's Avatar
 

i'm trying to get everything calibrated in quad surround mode on the apollo x6... everything is set up properly but no output at all going to Ls & Rs channel

audio/midi setup plays the pink noise to each sub channel correctly
Old 4 weeks ago
  #41
Here for the gear
 
datal4b's Avatar
 

so i realized i don't know anything about surround sound, i was hoping to be able to calibrate the subs with the mains and control them with the monitor knob...would've been awesome but yea doesn't work like that. anyways, here are the tests. to keep the subs from clipping i had to turn the trim down almost to 0. i'm not sure if there's stuff rattling in the results because the sweep was pretty extreme with the subs almost turned down to nothing but that's the best i could control it.

these waterfalls are a pretty drastic change from my first measurements, expectedly

by the way i am still trying to figure out how to low cut the s3h with their S control software but i couldn't figure it out, my settings wouldn't save idk why..

so these tests are all with the mains firing at full frequency range and the subs are high cut at 85hz
Attached Thumbnails
vpr testing in small room-lmain-lsub.jpg   vpr testing in small room-rmain-rsub.jpg   vpr testing in small room-lrmain-lrsub.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mdat s3hsub12 measurements.mdat (7.26 MB, 2 views)
Old 2 weeks ago
  #42
Here for the gear
 
datal4b's Avatar
 

this is the first thing i've done in the room so far,
Attached Files

Knowledge Is Foundation.mp3 (8.52 MB, 79 views)

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump