The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Double Drywall w GreenGlue overkill if Windows are weakest link?
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

Double Drywall w GreenGlue overkill if Windows are weakest link?

I’m about to be doing all new drywall for a residential home that will also double as a space for editing and sound production.

My plan was to use 5/8” Fire X drywall + Green Glue + 5/8” Fire X drywall on all the walls.

There are a couple exterior doors, lots of windows and a large sliding door, ie lots of double pane glass. Is doing this extra step of green glue and additional drywall going to make sense if most of the sound will likely pass through the window? I don’t plan to cover the windows up. Seems like with sound, the weakest link is what needs to be beefed up first.
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

How thick is the glass?
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

Between the glass doors, windows and sliding doors, there’s three different manufacturers. I believe the windows are two different thicknesses within the dual pane, 1/8” and 1/4”. I had read that helps cut down on different frequencies.

Currently the walls have plywood sheathing with taped seams and 1” of exterior rigid foam. When I turn the music up and am outside, the sound is more easily heard through the windows than the walls. There is no insulation or drywall up yet. This leads me to believe that adding more to the walls won’t solve the weakest link and may be overkill.
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

So this is built? You answered in one way your question from your testing.

Varying glass thickness is not significant in studio design. 1/4" or more in both panes usual.
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

You need to see not only the glass thickness, but also the window frame. since both usually come from a same manufacturer, you can ask them about the acoustic performance. Then you can compare it with your drywall performance. you can ask the drywall manufacturer for joint details between the window frame and drywall studs/wooden frame (and of course apply some sealant will surely helps).

Even if you have a hi-performance wall, the sound insulation will be worsen by openings (windows, doors, etc). you need to get a more acoustically proofed spec for those openings only for the intended room.

and i think sliding door is a very bad idea for a sound proofed room.

regards,

Wenda
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

Walls are built. Windows have been installed. They're all Aluminum frame dual pane with mixed thickness glass, 1/8" and 1/4". Only the sliding doors are thermally insulated.

There is no interior insulation or drywall installed yet.

This is a residential home with the goal of reducing noise from getting outside as well as entering the home. There's glazing on roughly 20% of the home.

What I'm noticing is that the windows and the air gaps around a pivot door are the biggest leaks at the moment. If I don't plan to improve those, is it worth doubling up the drywall or will the results be negligible?
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Without knowing the gap, the windows will provide a bit less isolation than wall with 5/8 drywall on each side.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search