The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Acoustic Fabric
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

Acoustic Fabric

I know the best is Guilford, but it isn't easy to get in Europe.

I am installing 40cm of fiberglass to cover the whole ceiling and two walls of my studio right now. I have all the material here and I'm ready to start, I just have one nagging doubt...

The fabric I chose is a thin cotton with a closed weave... but now I'm wondering if I should change the fabric. It doesn't have visible holes between the fibers like the FR701 has. I can't imagine a thin piece of fabric would change the behaviour of bass energy in the room, but I'm worried because it's a big project. Do you think fabric can change the performance of fiberglass traps?
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear
Hello,

The best ?

All frabrics with a grammage <= to 300g/m² can do the job.

One exemple

White absorbers, impossible?
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Hello,

The best ?

All frabrics with a grammage <= to 300g/m² can do the job.

One exemple

White absorbers, impossible?
I was wondering about that. I just picked up fabric for a build. The inexpensive polycotton options were all 140gsm
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Addict

For low frequency (how low?) it should be ok at that weight.

However, in principle, if you can easily blow air through it, then sound can easily pass through it, into the absorption material, hence the oft-mentioned "blow-through" test for acoustically transparent fabric.
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Nut

Breathable fabric isn't a requirement for bass traps as far as I can tell. Some will deliberately use panels with a foil layer on the front (FRK) and you definitely can't breath through that.

It's RFZ panels where this is critical since denser fabrics will reflect more higher frequency sound.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

The benefit of the Guilford stuff is the fire rating. Commercial builds may require it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search