The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help in creating educational material and treatment of a small home studio.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Help in creating educational material and treatment of a small home studio.

First of all, hello everyone! My name is Daniel. I want to start creating some educational material about acoustics, music, electronics… All aspects of science related to music, in written form, and also with videos. The material will be in english as well as spanish (there aren’t many good resources in spanish, and I hope to make a small difference with this).

The project

My first Project is going to be about acoustics, and it’s going to have two articles/parts:
  1. Acoustic treatment in a studio enviroment, and understanding of room acoustics. There’s A LOT of information in english on this subject, and much of it has been done by members of this fórum, I’d like to thank you all for that. However, I’d like to give it a new spin. I don’t want to start introducing all the elements like bass traps, diffusers… I’d like to do this in the the form of a project: treating my home studio for recording and mixing. I’m going to first take measurements, detect problems and solve them, like you would approach a real world situation.
  2. Analysing and recording in different enviroments. I’m going to record in an anechoic chamber and I’m talking with a theater and a church. If you have any interesting idea about this or something you would like to do in my situation, please let me know!

I’m mostly a bit concerned, because I don’t want to give any wrong advice or give a bad example, I count on your opinion for that!

Home studio treatment: the “untreated” room.

First of all, let me show you some 3D plans of the room:

I included the measurements in imperial and metric system (we use metric). As you can see, it’s really a small room with a lot of potential problems. I’ve seen loads of people working from similar spaces, so I hope the treatment can be used as an example.

Here you can see some panoramas of the real room:

Again, not ideal. All the acoustic tratment (foam or some cheap diffusers) has been gifted to me, or I have bought it only to get free shipping in a larger order. The monitors are a pair of Adam A5X.

Measurements.
So, I’m planning to buy a reference microphone, but, for now, I had to do the measurements with my SE Electronics 2200a II (In omni mode), which has this frequency response:

I have made several measurements in the listening position, but overally it looks like this:

40Hz-20kHz:

40Hz-1Khz:

I’d love to hear what you think, because it’s my first time doing this, but I see that overally the problem is in the low frequencies. I see a lot of modes and really long decay times.

Treatment: what to do now?
Again, Id love any help. I’m a physics major so I understand everything theoretically, but I’d love to have some feedback from you guys, because I wanna set this as an example, I want to do this the right way!

Broadband absorption:

First of all, I’d like to do some broadband absorbers, with about 10cm/4 inches of thickness, and have them spaced about 10cm from the walls. Those will be located at the first reflection points (as I have the foam now), and I’m planning on doing one pair (or maybe I should make more and cover the sides of the room, what do you think? It should help recording vocals).

I would love to also make a cloud, but I’m thinking about ways to make sure it doesn’t fall down, if you have any Good way, let me know! If not, I can put some foam there (if it’s a good idea).

I would be constructing the panels more or less like this:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Mak...ing-studio-or/

Acoustic treatment for recording: diy gobo

Also, I’m going to make a gobo, which I will use to record vocals, putting it behind the Singer. I’m going to be following this more or less:
https://steveoneillvoice.wordpress.c...acoustic-gobo/

(just one of them, not the two pairs)
I was thinking of making them also 10cm thick, I guess that should be enough.

Bass traps: Ikea bookshelf as a frame.

I’m thinking about using an Ikea bookshelf as a frame, and then stuffing all the inside. I have two options:

-First option: Hyllis bookshelf, only 10 euros:
https://www.ikea.com/es/es/p/hyllis-...zado-00278578/
Here you can see the dimensions:

-Second option: gersby bookshelf, 25 euros:
https://www.ikea.com/es/es/p/gersby-...anco-70261131/

So, I really don’t know what to use. The hyllis is WAAAAY cheaper, but it’s also much shorter, maybe it’s a Good idea to use the larger one and just fill the entire frame. What do you think?

I will be putting this bass traps in the two corners near the monitors, and also, because the gobo can be folded, it doubles as a bass trap for the corner near the door. I don’t think I can put a trap in the other corner, because I need the bookshelves for storing things, and I can’t get rid of the sofa either. I don’t have any room left.

Also, if the problems persist after this, I was thinking about building a Helmholtz resonator.

Materials for the panels and traps.

I still have to look in the local market to see what’s available, but I will be updating this with the final materials as well as the final cost.

Placement in the room:

Here I have made some sketches to show the placement I was thinking of (as well as some doubts I have):

(keep in mind that it's only a sketch, for example the panels are drawn a bit higher than I would like for the first reflection points).

I’d love to get any feedback, will this be able to solve some issues about the room? Do you suggest other approaches? I’m mostly concerned about the bass traps, would it matter if I picked the Wood one? It has a Wood plank on the other side, I suppose it would mostly reflect high frequencies. Most importantly, what do you think about the measurements in the room?

Thanks to everyone and I’ll keep you up to date!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Everybody has to start somewhere but I don't think there will be space for your couch even after the first round of treatment.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The door opens inwards, I think?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
The door opens inwards, I think?
Yeah, the door opens inwards, it's a pity. that's why I thought about the moving bass trap (gobo).

I'm afraid that with the treatment that I showed here, there's a bit of space but not much. If I added a 4th bass trap in the rear right corner, I would certainly have to move the couch. Sadly, there's no space for the couch left in any other part of the house, so I would have to throw it out, I want to try to treat everything as much as I can with the couch inside.

I'm also trying to see how effective can you make sound treatment without having to make much compromises. After all, this series of videos would be directed more towards people in home studios or living rooms, probably they also have to dedicate some space for storage, or a couch, or a bed, and in those situations maybe there isn't another option.

Of course, if after this round of treatment, improvement is barely noticeable, I'll have to consider throwing stuff out, but I want to see how "good" can it be without such sacrifices.

Thank you very much for your feedback, I lack the experience to know how it's allreally going to work hahahahaha!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoothsayerRec View Post
If I added a 4th bass trap in the rear right corner
You have no basstraps at the moment or am I missing something?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
You have no basstraps at the moment or am I missing something?
At the moment I have no bass traps (before starting treatment, of course, I only have foam and some diffusers).

My plan was to build two big bass traps out of bookshelves for the front corners, near the monitors. Also, I want to build a gobo that can be folded and would act as a 8 inch moveable bass trap, that I can place in the corner that meets the door.

But because of the lack of space, that would leave me with one corner (rear right, you can see it in the last pic of the post, by the existing bookshelves and sofa) with no bass trap.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The shelf gave me an idea. I think something like this filled up with rockwool would be an excellent bass trap. Easy build. Quick assembly. Open ends. Free standing and portable.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selec...Unit/999990408

Last edited by AudioWonderland; 3 weeks ago at 04:03 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
The shelf gave me assign idea. I think something like this filled up with rockwool would be an excellent bass trap. Easy build. Quick assembly. Open ends. Free standing and portable.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selec...Unit/999990408
YEeah, I personally think it would be very effective, that's a simple way to use a lot of material and without having to build a frame. It's like using the cheap bookshelf in my post but with steroids hahahahaha.

About the bookshelf idea, I have a small doubt, I don't know if it would be more effective to just place rockwool on the shelves, or to remove the shelves and use only the frame filled with rockwool.

Maybe if you don't remove the shelves and they are close together it would cause diffraction of some sort, but since it's a longitudinal wave I'm not so sure, maybe only in the vertical modes.

Also, with a "standard" bookshelf, the back wood panel might reflect some frequencies, but I tend to think that it would mostly reflect only high frequencies which will be absorbed a lot by the time they reach it. I tend to think that it might not be much of a problem.

Let's see if anyone knows a bit about this, but certainly with your "bookshelf" it would work quite well, since it doesn't hace a back panel or "solid" shelves!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search