The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Broad band absorption in my live room
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Broad band absorption in my live room

Hi-

I have a 17x23 foot live room with 9 foot ceiling. I just got a whole bunch (30 pieces) of 2" seemingly professionally made, fabric covered, rigid fiberglass basstraps of differing dimensions (some 2x4, 4x4 and 2x8) for free from a college A/V department that was getting rid of them. Pretty cool.

My question is about mounting them, is there any advantage to spacing them a couple of inches from the wall? Or should I just mount them directly to the wall with no air gap?

i have some 4" 2x4 traps already that i was going to use in the corners as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ian
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

They will be more effective if you mount them with an air gap behind. 2" away should work.

Are they wood backed? If they are soft back you can use offset impaling clips.

For wood back I'd recommend making standoffs from 1x1's or similar so they sit proud of the wall. This will keep them light weight so they are easier to mount.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
They will be more effective if you mount them with an air gap behind. 2" away should work.

Are they wood backed? If they are soft back you can use offset impaling clips.

For wood back I'd recommend making standoffs from 1x1's or similar so they sit proud of the wall. This will keep them light weight so they are easier to mount.
Thanks for the super fast reply!!

They we previously screwed directly to the walls at the school. I didnt know about the impaling clips! I wonder if a hardware store would having something similar? They are not backed with wood. i was also considering nylon spacers, but that might be tricky because they are soft. and if they are only 1/2" - 1" off the wall, is that even useful?

For the ceiling, would it be defeating the purpose to screw them directly in?

Thanks again!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’d hang them using hooks and eyelets if you can. Lots of info on different ways to ceiling mount clouds online.

Whether or not you need to space the ceiling panels depends on the room though. I’d do the walls first, see how it sounds and then think about the ceiling. Might be fine without ceiling panels at all. Then you could use the extra as baffles or gobos.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If they’re soft, no need for spacers if you can get these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...lips.html/amp/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search