The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elastic suspension for speakers?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Elastic suspension for speakers?

Hi :-)

I own a couple of small Klein & Hummel M 52 speakers, that I use for my tiny minimalistic home studio setup. They are one way speaker, Auratone-style.
I would like to decouple the speakers from my desk and have been thinking about building some sort of elastic suspension for them.
I can't find anything about this "method" of decoupling speakers - is this because it is stupid?
Anyways, I thought it could be an interesting experiment and diy thing to do.

Any advice regarding this?

Last edited by Rentzen; 3 weeks ago at 08:06 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Better use something like this:

Elastic suspension for speakers?-capture-d-ecran-2019-05-21-23.08.19.png

Check this thread...take your time to fully understand how to do it
Attached Thumbnails
Elastic suspension for speakers?-capture-d-ecran-2019-05-21-23.08.19.png  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Better use something like this:

Check this thread...take your time to fully understand how to do it
It looks like that speaker is hanging - am I right?

That was not what I was thinking about. I was thinking about something like a mikrophone suspension:
Attached Thumbnails
Elastic suspension for speakers?-881110e9-e2b9-447f-b589-4594b4c27dcb_1.3c170b79fd5186094a4421203364678a.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Sorry I didn't understand you, and still don't get it
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

hahaha, fair enough

The whole idea of suspending a microphone with rubberbands / elastics (a shock mount) is to minimize (low end) rumble and handling noise. So my theory is that the same would go the other way around - with a speaker - reduce low end rumble that is being transmitted from the speaker to the desk.

The picture I posted above - Imagine replacing the microphone with a speaker. Perhaps a different design but the same concept.

...or maybe imagine a sort of tiny hammock of sorts for the speaker

Last edited by Rentzen; 3 weeks ago at 07:15 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Ok, then I got it, but you didn't get my answer

First, you don't want your speakers on your desk.

Then decoupling is another subject, check the thread linked as a start.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

okay, I will try again

This setup is not my studio setup. I have a studio somewhere else, BUT this is for a songwriting / editing "station" at home, SO I will not be doing critical mixing-duties or anything like that here :-) I DO hear "rumble" when the small speakers are on the desk as opposed to holding them mid air. The speakers are not down on a regular desk, but at ear level at the moment - I've now put big (Stephen King!) books underneath, that helped a bit (not scientific I know). The speakers will stay on the table because the point of this setup is that it is mobile within the room.

I was interested in the thought of elastic suspension of speakers, because no one has talked about this and I do not see it being mentioned anywhere - also not mentioned in the thread.
Also it could look nice - nicer than books

This is the setup:
Attached Thumbnails
Elastic suspension for speakers?-61040501_333475380671895_3856914673718788096_n-1-.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There’s no such thing as elastic suspension for speakers (think about how big such a contraption would have to be). But there are plenty of speaker decoupling platforms by Iso Acoustic, Primacoustic and many others.
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-a...ands-platforms
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave View Post
There’s no such thing as elastic suspension for speakers (think about how big such a contraption would have to be). But there are plenty of speaker decoupling platforms by Iso Acoustic, Primacoustic and many others.
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-a...ands-platforms
sorry but

Please read my first post = DIY + small speakers.

Also, just because something is not commercially available does not mean that there is "no such thing". Someone may know something about this...or maybe not.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen View Post
sorry but

Please read my first post = DIY + small speakers.

Also, just because something is not commercially available does not mean that there is "no such thing". Someone may know something about this...or maybe not.

Ah sorry. In which case there is also air compression suspension, magnetic suspension and many other methods that someone may know about... or maybe not.
Should you come back to more earthly ways the article I pointed you towards also explains some doable DIY methods.
Good luck!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave View Post
Ah sorry. In which case there is also air compression suspension, magnetic suspension and many other methods that someone may know about... or maybe not.
Should you come back to more earthly ways the article I pointed you towards also explains some doable DIY methods.
Good luck!
I will prefer small fountains on each side of my screen where I can place the speakers (that are placed in bathing rings) on
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen View Post
I will prefer small fountains on each side of my screen where I can place the speakers (that are placed in bathing rings) on
We want pictures!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search