The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for some advice on getting started w/ DIY Treatment
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Looking for some advice on getting started w/ DIY Treatment

I have been doing as much research as possible on building my own bass traps and panels, but the more i research the more i realize how deep this rabbit hole goes. I have a basic understanding of the terms and concepts but i dont have enough time to read a bunch of books and become an expert like some of you on here (Full time job + nearly full time beatmaker/producer/musician).
So what im hoping is that i can get some solid recommendations from others that have already completed this process and have experience they could share.

Okay so heres some measurements and stats on my room:
7.5ft Tall
7.5ft Wide
9.5ft Long
Dedicated studio room
Presonus eris E5's 5" monitors w/isolation pads
Back wall of the room (the wall that the speakers face) is partially an open closet on one half (3.5ft wide x 17inches deep), and a door on the other half. (maybe some type of acoustic curtain or something could work to dampen higher frequencies while allowing access to closet when needed?)

My goal is to have this room setup like a mastering studio, i dont plan on doing much recording in the space. My first step is going to be building some DIY bass traps, I think i want to go with Roxul due to the price and easier availability in Canada.

Does anyone have any tried and true guides on how to make some good bass traps for a smaller studio? I find that a lot of the tutorials are more geared towards home theater and full size studio applications... and the panels/traps are just too large for my room. From my light understanding im thinking i should go with denser insulation for the bass traps, so i dont need to have quite as much thickness? What specific type of mineral insulation would you guys suggest, and what dimensions would be ideal to build these traps?

Lastly, while i have you here, what size of acoustic panels would you suggest for taming lowmid to high frequency problems. I would like to install at least three (one on each wall to my monitors left and right, as well as one on the ceiling). The walls that they will be fixed on are 7.5ft by 9.5ft.

Hopefully some of you will have the time to read all of this and shoot me some ideas. I just want to say a HUGE thank you if you are able to read all of this and help me out. This acoustic treatment stuff gets real confusing and convoluted to the uninitiated, so helpful people on websites like this are an absolute godsend. Thanks :D

PS - i realize my room is not ideal for what im trying to do, But its what i have available so i want to make it as good as i possibly can.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The inverse law of something-or-other is at work here. My understanding and experience is that smaller rooms need to have a LARGER percentage of that smaller space devoted to trapping in order for the trapping to be effective. I’ve seen comments indicating that at some point as the room gets smaller, effective trapping doesn’t leave sufficient room for a human and that human’s equipment.
So be prepared to learn that you need far more trapping than you can imagine you need.
BUT... one thing to keep in mind is that if you don’t buy or make useless skinny baffles and install them in the wrong locations, you can approach treatment incrementally, and get it sounding better and better, hopefully until it meets your needs.
I have learned a lot on the GIK site and from exchanges with their people. I recommend them, and I do not work for them or get any consideration for recommending them. My DIY traps were so amateur and awful looking that I started buying traps.
Learn REW and don’t be discouraged by what it shows you. “Perfect” pro studios are seldom perfect, but they get close enough to sound perfect to most of us.
Good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search