The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moving - which room should I mix in?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Moving - which room should I mix in?

I'm moving into a new house in a few weeks. I've been to it, but it's a 5-hour drive so I can't get measurements right now. I'd like to have an idea of which room to move stuff into though. I'd really appreciate thoughts on which of the two room options I have to mix in that you would pick given the choice.
I have some minimal acoustic treatment that will be going with me, but it's not very good, just foam stuff (12 1' panels and 4 foam bass traps). For now, it's what I have.

Choices are:

1. Smaller room with carpet. Perfectly symmetrical.

2. Slightly larger room with tile. Also has a little alcove where the door is, so the room isn't symmetrical.

I don't think either room is a perfect square, but neither is particularly long (closer to square).

Any advice with which one would be better? Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Forget about foams. It's NOT a proper acoustic treatment.

The bigger the better. A quick layout would be best to visualise the rooms
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

+1 to JayPee!

Without knowing more about the actual shapes and sizes of the rooms, and the locations of doors, window, etc., my first thought would be to go for the larger room with the tile floor. That's a MUCH better option than the smaller room with carpet, which already has two things against it: 1) small. 2) carpet. However, as JayPee said, without seeing the big picture of both rooms, it's hard to say which is better.

- Stuart -
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

How small is "smaller" and how slightly larger is "slightly larger?" Keep in mind as room size goes up, room mode frequencies go down so a room that's 4 m long will have modes at around 40 Hz which is in the ugly intersection zone of fun and hard to treat.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I think I have decided to make myself some legit accoustic treatment (probably three 4" panels for primary reflection points on top and sides using Owens 703 as well as chuck bass traps for 2 corners using Roxul Safe and Sound). I'm sure that will make a big difference regardless of which I go with.
I'm moving down on the 29th, so I will take some measurements and make note of where windows are etc. (I can't remember exactly) when I do. Then I'll probably make a new thread and link to it should you guys want to answer. I do have a couple pictures I took when I went to look at the place, but it's not a great perspective of the whole room. That's my wife in the pics

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6ATtU2uKuhZ7GYJ46

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5aYAxDwfSrCD19aC7
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Please check these threads -specially posts by Jens Eklund, before doing anything :

3" Roxul enough for early/first reflections?

Velocity based vs. pressure based absorbers
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Please check these threads -specially posts by Jens Eklund, before doing anything :

3" Roxul enough for early/first reflections?

Velocity based vs. pressure based absorbers
Are you saying that what I proposed to do likely won't be worth doing if I can't make them thicker or more specifically tuned to my room? Because both of those things will up the price quite a lot.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I think I'll go with the tiled room because of what you have said. Please check out this new thread I made regarding the acoustic treatment itself.
Please rate my plans for acoustic treatment

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search