The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bedroom for studio adaptation
Old 4 weeks ago
Bedroom for studio adaptation

Hi everyone, I might need some help with defining problems in my new room's acoustics. Before I moved here I have made plan for acoustic treatment but I was not able to make any measurements. As the room is irregular, floor and ceiling are not quite parallel and there is huge window, I wasn't expecting a lot of bass troubles and there is no long tails on graphs indeed. However I have huge notches and depending on where I make the measurement, their frequency changes. In this situation I'm not sure if my idea for bass traps (just to fill corners with wool from floor to ceiling) makes sense. Is there any way I can get rid of this notches? If I'd do resonant bass traps and tune them to the frequency of notch in sweet spot, would it even the frequency response or cut even more? I also plan to cover the window as it lets a lot of street noise through. I'm renting this flat and so I have to make it reversible. I'm thinking about making some kind of plasterboard wall leaning on window sill attached to walls/ceiling and put some wool between it and pane. What do you think about this idea? I'd also appreciate any suggestions about my treatment plan whatsoever.
Attached Thumbnails
Bedroom for studio adaptation-plan.jpg   Bedroom for studio adaptation-1-spectro.jpg   Bedroom for studio adaptation-1-waterfall.jpg   Bedroom for studio adaptation-2-spectro.jpg   Bedroom for studio adaptation-2-waterfall.jpg  

Bedroom for studio adaptation-3-spectro.jpg   Bedroom for studio adaptation-3-waterfall.jpg   Bedroom for studio adaptation-all-spl.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I'd do resonant Bass Traps and tune them to the frequency of notch in sweet spot, would it even the frequency response or cut even more?
Building a tuned resonant bass trap will do one of two things to a low frequency dip: 1) Improve it, if the dip happens to be modal, and you tuned the trap perfectly, and you placed it at the location of pressure peak in the room for that modal dip. 2) Do nothing at all, if the dip is SBIR or some other form of reflection, such as floor bounce or ceiling bounce.

Thus, before deciding how to treat it, you first need to identify what it is. If it is modal, it can be treated in the way you mention. If it is not modal, then it would need to be dealt with in other ways.

Quote:
I have huge notches and depending on where I make the measurement, their frequency changes.
Right. Because you are moving from one modal/SBIR location to another. That's always the case. Find the location for the speakers and mix position that has the best overall response, and use that as your basic layout, then treat the room accordingly to improve things further.

- Stuart -

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search