The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jason Foi Studio Design - Tuning
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal View Post
I didn't manage to open that file in REW, says it's not in mdat format?

This confirms what I have been noticing for a while - that I hear sound more clearly when I move my head further away from the headrest. I didn't understand it because I thought the headrest would be a positive rather than a negative, but it evidently is not! When practicing on SoundGym I found myself constantly moving my head forward in order to hear things better. I'm going to check if I can take it off right now.
Did you unzip the compressed folder first?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal View Post
I didn't manage to open that file in REW, says it's not in mdat format?
Try downloading the newest version of REW.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Attached is a new set of measurements which include processing by DiracLive

Looking awesome. Interesting to see improvements in ETC and spectrogram, I wonder if that's related to audio going through the dj controller or if DIRAC is helping with that?

One thing you could play with, it looks like your sub(s) is one phase rotation late at the crossover frequency, this is fairly common as it works out to the group delay of the subs (ported?). I'm not personally convinced this matters, but if you want to try you can see if you can add about 13ms of delay to the L+R. Generally the best way to find time alignment is with the reverse null method, so starting with around 13ms (getting this number from spectrogram) flip the phase on the sub and add/subtract delay until you see the biggest null at the crossover point, then flip back. If you're using really steep slopes (it looks like you are), you might have to relax them a bit to get enough of a measurable null, then put it back.

Obviously this adds to the latency, what I do on the minidsps is save low latency presets and high latency.

Other than that, there is the stuff there from ~500-10k in the spectrogram, probably all desk related and this stuff is ultimately difficult to get rid of and still have a desk. My guess looking at the pic is this is diffracting off the top edge of your keyboard. This is where I would try a little cuddle fabric. Looking at ETC there are those reflections around 10, 12, 13, 15ms but they are pretty low.

And then the one that would be the hardest would be to see if you could get the LF decay time down...That's still that territory of a Northward room that's not going to come easy for us DIYers though.

That all being said, this is a great result and certainly usable at a professional level as is. You can rest assured that many hit songs have been mixed in rooms that are worse than this!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Did you unzip the compressed folder first?
It was an mdat file I tried to open, but I suspect RyanC might be right - I have the next latest version of REW so I didn't think it would stop me from opening the file, but I'll give it another go when I've updated. Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
With recent updates when you clic on a .mdat file, it might open an older version of REW. Drag and drop your .mdat on your last REW installed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
How's it sounding? Good I'm guessing...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
How's it sounding? Good I'm guessing...
Depends on the mix honestly. Certain songs sound fantastic, others not so much. I suppose thats the goal though, so i'd say it sounds, neutral. I'm really happy with it. I havent gotten to write in there much yet. Installing all my vsts/daw took FOREVER.

I tried adding the 13ms delay to my mains the other day and to my, likely flawed, ears there really wasnt an audible difference to me. Between that and dirac it all adds up to some pretty high latency though, but its a preset on the minidsp now so i can try it out more in the future.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I tried adding the 13ms delay to my mains the other day and to my, likely flawed, ears there really wasnt an audible difference to me. Between that and dirac it all adds up to some pretty high latency though, but its a preset on the minidsp now so i can try it out more in the future.
Yeah I have one guy here who really claims to hear the difference (I'm using openDRC DA8, but same idea). I hear a difference, but the two crossovers are designed with completely different software in my case so that's to be expected. But it's kinda tough to say that it matters. I find changing to me to be more confusing then just getting used to the lower latency setting.

I do think that's one thing that can be tough with getting a really good room, and probably to some extent with the process of going so far behind the curtain. It's changed my reference material, but a lot of mixes that I really like in real life don't always translate so well to a hypercritical room. This isn't easy to make sense out of.

I wouldn't go back though. I've tried a bunch of different secondary setups that sound better for those references and nobody here uses them (6 of us now)...

It would be super cool to hear some of your music!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Depends on the mix honestly. Certain songs sound fantastic, others not so much. I suppose thats the goal though, so i'd say it sounds, neutral. I'm really happy with it.
Do you notice the same variations in fidelity between these songs when monitoring on headphones? I found that to be a quick and easy test when calibrating my own room.

By the time I finished, my monitors were sounding very close to my Sennheiser HD 600 headphones - sufficient that I could adjust the headphone volume too match my monitoring level, take off the cans and hear pretty much the exact same mix.

Probably not the most scientific approach, but it gave me some reassurance that my monitors/room were reproducing the sound quite accurately.

PS: good to hear you're happy with it! That's always the ultimate test Now you can finally get back to writing/recording, which is why we do all this, eh (I'm only just getting back into writing myself... it's been too long).
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skol303 View Post
Do you notice the same variations in fidelity between these songs when monitoring on headphones? I found that to be a quick and easy test when calibrating my own room.

By the time I finished, my monitors were sounding very close to my Sennheiser HD 600 headphones - sufficient that I could adjust the headphone volume too match my monitoring level, take off the cans and hear pretty much the exact same mix.

Probably not the most scientific approach, but it gave me some reassurance that my monitors/room were reproducing the sound quite accurately.

PS: good to hear you're happy with it! That's always the ultimate test Now you can finally get back to writing/recording, which is why we do all this, eh (I'm only just getting back into writing myself... it's been too long).
My bad, i just realised i never replied!

I dont ever use headphones for mixing so i'm not sure. I tryed it out with some cheap headphones i have (i dont own any studio headphones) and the headphones were hyped in the low end, not a suprise there though.

Its just mostly that some people who i always considered good at mixing, arent as good as i thought they were, and others are way better than i thought. It suprised me how narrow and almost mono lots of mixes i liked are. Its become painfully obvious just how important proper acoustics are. I havent been in many high end rooms, but im starting to realise the rooms i have been in werent nearly as good as i thought they were.

But yeah, it feels amazing to be back to producing again. A two year break was torture. It even took me a minute to remember how to navigate cubase. Lol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search