The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Backwall / corner treatment
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Backwall / corner treatment

I am considering what to do with my control room. The room is approximately 9x11 with an 8' ceiling. Plaster walls and carpet.

There are Auralex lenrd traps in three vertical corners as well as backwall / ceiling corner. The fourth vertical has a door.

I want to add 4" rockwool panels in front of the three verticals and a panel on the backwall as large and as thick as possible. 12-15" is probably the practical limit.

Does 15" on the backwall give a practical advantage over say 6" or is it a waste of resources? I always hear you can't have enough bass trapping but is 15" enough to reach the low-end effectively?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Plaster walls and carpet.
If you can, lose the carpet! It's not doing anything nice to the room, and is likely doing bad stuff. Or more accurately, it's doing the opposite of "good stuff" that the room needs. If you can't take out the carpet, then consider covering it with something hard and tough, to us as your new floor.

Quote:
Does 15" on the backwall give a practical advantage over say 6" or is it a waste of resources? ... I always hear you can't have enough Bass trapping but is 15" enough to reach the low-end effectively?
Definitely an advantage, and it definitely gets down reasonably low. 15" will, in theory, have a usable effect down to about 60 Hz (1/16 wavelength). Your lowest mode is 51.4 Hz, and it does involve the rear wall... It might have some effect on that, but probably not significant, so you will likely need to do something else about that. For example, membrane traps or perf panel traps behind the absorption. The next lowest modes that involve the rear wall are around 85 Hz, then again around 115 Hz, then around 150 Hz. Those are not the actual modal frequencies: there's just a few clustered in those areas, all of which would benefit. Just make sure you use some type of absorption that has good characteristics in the very low end. In other words, not too dense.

- Stuart -
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Should it be tight to the wall or spaced off of it some distance? Would 18" reach to 50hz? Is safe n should the right product in this application?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
Should it be tight to the wall or spaced off of it some distance? Would 18" reach to 50hz? Is safe n should the right product in this application?
If I am understanding Stuart correctly, you can divide the speed of sound with the thickness of the absorption times 16 to find the lowest frequency the absorption will be effective at. So

1160 ft/sec divided by (18" x 16)

sorry, I have to do this using metric units...

344 m/s divided by (0.457 m x 16) -> about 47 Hz

If this is right, I am very happy as I have recently built significant trapping between 40 and 80 cm deep in my room. Have yet to measure the response as my room is basically a workshop at the moment. (Not ideal, I know)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search