The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Sterling Sound Mastering
Old 4 weeks ago

New Sterling Sound Mastering

Sterling Sound did a video about their new facilities that were finished a few months ago.

Can't say enough good things about these guys. They were top notch all the way.

It was a fantastic facility to design and work on (the new studios are located in NY and Nashville) and obviously a real treat to interact with engineers of that caliber, whose names I've seen on so many of the record sleeves I've grown up listening to.

Their highly competent tech team was also incredible to interact with. Good times.

Last edited by Northward; 4 weeks ago at 11:39 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Congrats Thomas!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Congratulations and thank you for sharing that with us.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Congratulations Thomas!
Great video!
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 7f9cade
Amazing work. The speakers in the glass are out of this world. Such a cool and innovative idea.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sterling has always set the 'High Bar' ... Congrats on the New Design !

Hope to plan a 'Listening' visit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Very cool!

Curious if you replicated the same room design for each suite, and what the “approximate” inside dimensions are (after treatment), verses the outer shell (before treatment) for the averaged size room?

Did all the engineers switch from free standing to flush mount, or were there any hold outs? Thx

Last edited by Waltz Mastering; 4 weeks ago at 11:50 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Nice
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 7f9cade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Very cool!

Curious if you replicated the same room design for each suite, and what the “approximate” inside dimensions are (after treatment), verses the outer shell (before treatment) for the averaged size room?

Did all the engineers switch from free standing to flush mount, or were there any hold outs? Thx
Im curious about this too. At the previous studio every room had different free standing standing speakers. Now its all ATC encapsulated in the glass. Every engineer agreed to go that route, which I believe speaks volumes about the design concept. Must be absolutely amazing sounding.
Old 4 weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7f9cade View Post
Im curious about this too. At the previous studio every room had different free standing standing speakers. Now its all ATC encapsulated in the glass. Every engineer agreed to go that route, which I believe speaks volumes about the design concept. Must be absolutely amazing sounding.
Thanks!

The two facilities in NY & Nashville are different shell sizes and designs but both to FTB standard. Their acoustic response measures almost exactly alike though - which is normal if you follow a standard.

In NY the 4x main shells are +/- 7.5/6.5m and the 2x Nashville shells are +/- 9.2/7.2m, with final surface about 60-65% of the initial one once all is said and done (shell, shell geometry, treatment etc). Both fully floated bunkers at very low frequencies.

ATC in-glass behave exactly like in-wall, there is simply no difference between the two in terms of acoustic response.

They decided to go that route after visiting a number of other FTB rooms prior to the design phase starting.

All the rooms are ATC110 A SL + 2x 15" Custom ATC subwoofers in-glass in our decoupling system (called decoupling Nacelles). One of the rooms in Nashville is used as a 2.2 and 5.1. So there is a full in-glass LCR in that one.

There were no hold outs and no modifications requested or needed. The rooms are used and perform strictly as designed and main speakers were calibrated using our usual reference/benchmark for the type. Subwoofers levels differ a bit from one engineer to the other though - that's the only difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
Thanks much for the info.

I had remembered seeing other rooms that you done, earlier on, for free standing (B&Ws and the like) and know how attached an engineer can get to speakers that they’ve trusted over the years. It speaks volumes that some of the best in the land were willing to make the switch, all in one go. Great stuff!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
...Subwoofers levels differ a bit from one engineer to the other though - that's the only difference.
how is this getting done? - and any pic available from the 5.1 room?
Old 4 weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
how is this getting done? - and any pic available from the 5.1 room?
There is a stepped gain trim on the ATC sub Amps. Sub crossovers and phase are optimised on site for each room.

The 2.2 setup uses one setting and the stereo L/R subs.
The 5.1 uses the center sub.
Attached Thumbnails
New Sterling Sound Mastering-img_20181204_061344.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Amazing video and of course amazing facilities. Had only once had a chance to experience room designed by Thomas and it way and remains mindblowing - the best aural experience I had a chance to hear. I only which I could afford such an investment in the future.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is a stepped gain trim on the ATC sub Amps. Sub crossovers and phase are optimised on site for each room.

nice! many thx.
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 7f9cade
Quote:
ATC in-glass behave exactly like in-wall, there is simply no difference between the two in terms of acoustic response.
Is there any sonic advantage to the glass? Just by looking at the pictures and using my limited knowledge of advanced acoustic design, I would guess that speakers suspended in glass with decoupling nacelles would be superior. the cabinets are completely separate and sealed off. Glass being such a hard surface would prevent any mechanical vibrations from leaking.

Any insight you can offer on your decision to build studios with the glass vs traditional in-wall would be much appreciated.

Thanks! Again, amazing work.
Old 4 weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
Is there any sonic advantage to the glass? Just by looking at the pictures and using my limited knowledge of advanced acoustic design, I would guess that speakers suspended in glass with decoupling nacelles would be superior. the cabinets are completely separate and sealed off. Glass being such a hard surface would prevent any mechanical vibrations from leaking.

Any insight you can offer on your decision to build studios with the glass vs traditional in-wall would be much appreciated.

Thanks! Again, amazing work.
Thank you!

The 'normal' in wall design also uses decoupling nacelles, so vibrations management is the exact same as with in-glass. Because the glass is very heavy and rigid per unit area and thanks to specific PVB films between the laminated layers being excellent at damping it, the performances are excellent, in this case equivalent in mass to 12+ layers of heavy drywall. To the point that you cannot consider the glass cavity and room as coupled spaces whatsoever.

To get the equivalent with a normal wall build-out is difficult, but actually not needed. If you reach about 75% of that mass you're fine. The way you can further dampen cavity resonances in non-glass walls also helps even out the score and compensate for lower overall partition mass.

The real trick in all this is the high pressure, ultra low frequency speaker decoupling system that removes all vibrations from the structure. That's what makes the glass work 100%.

Glass used there allows a full, large daylight source and /or view to a live room with zero technical compromise, or to make the room visually deeper and nicer to be in. Any other location for a reflective surface will be an audible and measurable problem. E.g I never understood why some design have large side or back windows. In a free standing design, a typical front wall window would also be a major issue. It's an early reflection and LF management nightmare.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Hello,

When the integration of the computer screen in the glass wall ?
Old 4 weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Hello,

When the integration of the computer screen in the glass wall ?
Done! Screen behind glass. No more edge diffraction. But this setup doesn't work for all.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
how is managed the noise (if there are noise) from the electronics ?
Old 4 weeks ago

Quote:
how is managed the noise (if there are noise) from the electronics ?
You mean from the amplifiers? They don't make noise, certainly not more than when in the back of the speaker when free standing.

For noisy stuff and CPU/servers there are machine rooms like in all other pro studios.

Not sure I get the question...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
You mean from the amplifiers? They don't make noise, certainly not more than when in the back of the speaker when free standing.

For noisy stuff and CPU/servers there are machine rooms like in all other pro studios.

Not sure I get the question...
On the video, I saw horrors as a toroidal transformer.

thank you, you understood me correctly
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Not sure what you mean? Where in video?
Old 4 weeks ago

Quote:

The rooms are eerily quiet. The tech team there is highly competent and makes sure of that. We're under NR15.

There are no such problems.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
Not sure what you mean? Where in video?
The part where is shown the chief technician.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The part where is shown the chief technician.
You mean around 4:24?
If so, what is your concern?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Yes.

The noise/vibration produced by a toroidal.
Old 3 weeks ago

Quote:
Yes.

There is none of that in there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
There is none of that in there.
You have already answered. I answer to the question from nosebleedaudio.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes.

What do you think high end gear uses for a power transformer?
Toroidal are the best to use for several good reasons..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search