The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Total N00b Treating Home Studio - Please Help.
Old 15th May 2019
Here for the gear
Total N00b Treating Home Studio - Please Help.

Hey Gearslutz,

First off - so sorry if this post is repetitive or redundant. Couldn't find any posts 100% similar to my needs, and I'm not super educated to be able to draw the right conclusions myself. Remove if needed.
--
So I'm finally starting the process of acoustically treating my home studio. It's the second bedroom of our little apartment, so I'm not working with much space.. but all I'm really looking for is a writing/ podcast studio that is treated enough to do some small recording (vocals, guitars, keys, etc.), writing, and practicing without pissing off my neighbours, and without throwing off any pre-mix decisions.. not looking for a professional control room, just something to get the job done.

My problem being, Acoustics and Studio Design is easily one of my biggest weaknesses in terms of music knowledge.

Room dimensions are 8'1" wide, 11'11" long, 7'9" tall. Thankfully no multiples of one another, so that should eliminate SOME room modes? (From what little education I did have on the subject?)

I know I will need bass traps, and I've found a reasonably inexpensive solution on Reverb..
Large broadband absorber panels I can make - figured I'd go with the classic [Rockwool insulation and foam wrapped in fabric] DIY solution..
And then my first question would be whether or not I should use some diffusion in the back portion of the room by the door. Would that be necessary? Or would it be counter productive and cause problems?
With just shy of 12 ft to work with, I'd hate to cause any unnecessary reflections, but I dont want it to sound like you're playing/singing/talking inside a gym bag either. Or am I out to lunch entirely?

I was also recently made aware that essentially the lower the ceiling, the more important it is to treat said ceiling, since the reflections are so close.
I was already planning on suspending two large broad-band absorbers above my listening position, while still clearing the light fixture; hopefully that works.

Due to my space, my desk (and the back of my monitors) will be in front of a window, so I'm hoping to compensate by using thick acoustic/ sound proofing curtains... fingers crossed there.

In terms of microphone isolation for recording vocals, I have a Kaotica Eyeball so I'm not super concerned... podcast vocals are what they are, not super stressed there. The odd acoustic guitar part I'm hoping I can correct with what treatment I will have in place.

Is there anything I'm missing?
Is there anything else you can recommend? I'm certainly on a budget, just a struggling wannabe songwriter and artist, but I'm hoping to make this my home base for at least the next couple years, so I want something that will get the job done. And keep my neighbours happy. I'd like to stay here lol.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer me. I'll post picture updates as I complete certain steps along the way, too. Hopefully y'all can tell me if I'm doing any of this right.

Thanks guys!
Much love.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search