The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What size monitors and acoustic advice
Old 14th May 2019
Here for the gear

What size monitors and acoustic advice

Hi everyone. Currently in the process of building my first studio. Renovating my home so I’m purposely creating a studio. The room size is 2.7 metres x 3 metres ( 9ft x 10ft). Ceiling height is 2.4 metres (8ft). I’m debating what size monitors to buy and I’m after some help. Looking at KRK V6S4 or V8S4? With regards to room acoustics, will I have any trouble with the room? It’s basically square? I will be using acoustic plasterboard for sound insulation. Many thanks in taking the time to reply. Cheers Ricky
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear
Oh, my...
You need to read a lot on this forum about studio acoustics.
You should visit the GIK site and look at what their products do (and don’t do).
If you are constructing the studio room, you need to make it NOT square.
What, exactly are you trying to do with “acoustic plasterboard”? “Insulation” is for temperature and “isolation” is extremely difficult to achieve.
You need to get the room right for any monitors to be very useful. I’m not a great fan of KRK (To be clear, I don’t hate them or think they cannot give decent results), but if you can get monitors large enough to be flat down to 40hz, you can pass for now on having to buy a subwoofer.
Old 15th May 2019
Here for the gear

Ok great, I’ll check that out now. In terms of manufacturers you do like, what alternatives are there? I was considering Genelec 8040b’s. Thanks
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyhunt1 View Post
Ok great, I’ll check that out now. In terms of manufacturers you do like, what alternatives are there? I was considering Genelec 8040b’s. Thanks
Genelec is a significant jump in price and reputation above KRK. I don’t think I’ve been in a studio with Genelecs, so I have no personal opinion about them. I am not a great reference on monitors, as I haven’t shopped monitors for some years. I have Event Opals, which I like, but the company seems to be out of business so I can’t recommend them.
I do think that for most genre you will profit from a woofer six inches or larger. But you don’t profit from any woofer or speaker in a poorly treated or untreated room. Get the room right and you can do good work on almost any real monitor. If you don’t get the room right, large spending on “great” monitors is usually a waste of most of that money. It is like buying a picture of a great monitor. You will see it, but you won’t really hear it.
And I have been there and done that.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Do a site search for"bogg Why do you need a big studio monitor"

Sorry my copying is not working.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Thank you.
Old 15th May 2019
Here for the gear

Cheers guys. This really is a mind field. First port fo call Is room treatment. Then I need to pick a Monitor size. Great thread but still unsure if 8 inch will be too big as the room is really small.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I need to pick a Monitor size. Great thread but still unsure if 8 inch will be too big as the room is really small.
You need to read the linked thread. Room size has nothing acoustically to do with monitor size.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This really is a mind field.
Yup! It sure is. Aren't you glad that forums like this one are around to help you step carefully?

Quote:
First port fo call Is room treatment. Then I need to pick a Monitor size.
They go together: Designing the room treatment is related to the speakers you choose.

Quote:
Great thread but still unsure if 8 inch will be too big as the room is really small.
8 inch might not be big enough! The speaker size is not dependent on the room size: it is dependent on the music you plan to mix in there. Small speakers do not have good low frequency response: big ones do. If your music has significant low frequency content, then you need speakers that are capable of reproducing that faithfully, regardless of what size room you are in. It could be a broom closet, or it could be NASA's space shuttle hanger, it doesn't matter: you would still need to cover the same frequency range in both cases, because that's the frequency range that your music needs. You would need quite a bit more POWER to fill NASA'a hanger than you would for the broom closet ( ), but the frequency range is the same. So, if your music needs an 8" speaker (it probably does...), then that's what you need. But it you are only mixing piccolos and bird song, then maybe a 4" would do fine...

- Stuart -
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
The speaker size is not dependent on the room size

If your music has significant low frequency content, then you need speakers that are capable of reproducing that faithfully, regardless of what size room you are in.

So, if your music needs an 8" speaker then that's what you need. But it you are only mixing piccolos and bird song, then maybe a 4" would do fine...
All true. It’s very simple, so why is it so often misunderstood?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search