The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any general advice on this room?
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Head

Could anyone have a look at this room please? Moved flats, noob, treatment a good ide

Hi,
I just moved to a new flat and am wondering whether it makes sense to try some treatment or if it is too tough and I should stick to headphones for mixing.
The room is located in the basement. The door which is more close to the desk is a wooden door and leads to a small room where we hang laundry. The door on the same wall is a glasdoor leading to a small sauna.
The ceiling is not flat but curved with 2 bows in entry door - window direction which meet at roughly 250 cm heigt a bit off to the left. At their highest point the wall is roughly 30-40 cm higher than at the left and the right wall as well as at the point where the bows meet. Unfortunately I don't have any internet at home yet so I can't send a photo for now.
I am at work and made a drawing. Maybe anyone can say something about it already.
ps added some photos.
Wanted to start measuring next week or so.

Thanks for helping.
Attached Thumbnails
Any general advice on this room?-room-gearslutz.jpg   Any general advice on this room?-20190514_064125.jpg   Any general advice on this room?-20190514_064102.jpg   Any general advice on this room?-20190514_064053.jpg  

Last edited by yentz; 15th May 2019 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: Picked wrong wording
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Addict

People do things in all kinds of rooms around here. It's just that all the bass trapping will not make the room any bigger. You have to know yourself if you can deal with an even smaller room.
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Head

Hi, thanks for the answer.

I think I am absolutely fine with having two basstraps within the corners left and right to the table (soffit or superchunk like) as long as they will help with the sound and I was wondering if it would m,ake sense to replace the ikea kallax where my players and desk stand on with a selfmade "stand" which is filled with rockwool and working as a basstrap.

Unfortunately I dont have any deeper knowledge (yet, still no internet due to moving flats 2 weeks ago) and am quite limited with regards to where I could put absorbers and was hoping to get some hints. First reflection absorbers to the sides could be difficult as there is a door to the left. Is it posible to split the absorbers and hang one to the door and one to the wall?

What is with the rooms on the left side, especially the sauna as it has a glas door.

Also I was wondering whether the basstraps (lets say I go for soffits) have to be as they are or if it is possible to screw some hooks in and hang my Jackets, Bags, Cables or something else onto them. From my understanding the bass will travel through those anyway.

Thanks for helping
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Addict

Do you have a measurement microphone? If yes, just get started measuring.
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Do you have a measurement microphone? If yes, just get started measuring.
Yes I have a Behringer Measurement mic. Just waiting to go online in the new flat to download the software and see some tutorials on how to do this properly. Regarding the measurement... is it important where I am standing when doing the measurements? I have got a tripod of course but don't know where to place myself while measuring.
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yentz View Post
Regarding the measurement... is it important where I am standing when doing the measurements?
REW (Room EQ Wizard) can do measurements with a delay. I always set it on 10 s delay and leave the room after starting it.
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
REW (Room EQ Wizard) can do measurements with a delay. I always set it on 10 s delay and leave the room after starting it.
Awesome, good to know. Thanks for helping
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
and see some tutorials on how to do this properly.
Try this one: http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=3&t=21122

- Stuart -
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Head

Great, thanks. Just callibrated the audiointerface, starting measurements tomorrow. Gonna post some results. Would be very thankful to get some help on interpretation / advice on first treatment options
Old 18th May 2019
the ceiling is a bad shape, not ideal at all.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Head

That is really bad to hear. So does it even make sense to try optimizing the room?
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Head

I made a measurement following the instructions from the gik vodeo. Hope I didn't make any mistakes. I measured using a rme babyface pro, neumann kh120 and a behringer ecm 8000.
Due to little to no knowledge I can just guess that there are 2 main problems being 2 frequencies that are too loud and sound too long.
If anyone can help me interpretating those images and point me into the right direction on the best way to proceed I would be very thankful.
Kind Regards,
Jens
Attached Thumbnails
Any general advice on this room?-40-500.jpg   Any general advice on this room?-full-spectrum-.jpg   Any general advice on this room?-waterfall-40-500.jpg   Any general advice on this room?-waterfall-40-22000.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mdat May 19 11_34_19.mdat (2.89 MB, 6 views)
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Addict

Before we go any further, what's the budget you have?
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Head

Well, I want to go DIY as much as possible. I am not that unflexible moneywise but Music is just a hobby and not a profession. I would say maybe 1000 Euro...
If there are things that are a bad idea to do DIY I am prepared to spend more but it really depends on what to expect of the treatment.
By the way... thanks a lot for helping. I really do appreiate it

Oh I forgot to mention that my monitors (kh120 from neumann) have switches at their back to reduce bass, mid and high frequencies. At the moment all are set to 0.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Addict

I would get a shelf from IKEA, put that on the rear wall and fill it will either something like Rockwool Terma-Rock or something Polyester-based like Caruso Iso-Bond. Be prepared to go 30, probably 40 cm deep.

Of course you can also build your own frame if that's cheaper.

Check the Common Gas Flow Resistivity numbers thread for more info.

You'll find some combinations for Iso-Bond in the attached image. No idea if those will work out IRL but the goal is to get rid of the room mode around 47 Hz.

The other room mode is probably the ceiling but the mode is much higher up and therefore easier to treat.
Attached Thumbnails
Any general advice on this room?-screenshot_2019-05-14-multi-layer-absorber-calculator.jpg  

Last edited by johannburkard; 19th May 2019 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: tpyo
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Oh I forgot to mention that my monitors (kh120 from neumann) have switches at their back to reduce bass, mid and high frequencies. At the moment all are set to 0.
There is no bass in this room right now anyway.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Addict

I see you already have an IKEA shelf in the back that's even on rolls. Perfect.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Head

Great, thanks a lot.

Quote:
I would get a shelf from IKEA, put that on the rear wall and fill it will either something like Rockwool Terma-Rock or something Polyester-based like Caruso Iso-Bond. Be prepared to go 30, probably 40 cm deep.
The rear wall ist just about 2/3 wide whereas the rest is the door a bit further back. Do you mean I should just cover the wall or do I have to put something against the door as well (maybe a thinner frame so the door can still be opened)?
Also does the whole wall need to be covered? I know that is a stupid question as I am sure it does. The reason I am asking is that I was thinking if it was possible to build 2 parts, one where I can put the mixing desk on (maybe just modify the ikeashelf which I have already) and a second one which is thinner and covers the bit above so the players and mixing desk can still be used?
How much space would there be ideally between the shelf and the wall?

Thanks for helping.
Cheers,
Jens
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I see you already have an IKEA shelf in the back that's even on rolls. Perfect.
Just saw this post after posting. So this one would be sufficient plus hanging a thinner frame onto the wall above?
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just saw this post after posting. So this one would be sufficient plus hanging a thinner frame onto the wall above?
No, I would get two or three more of the same shelf, stack them and then fill them up. The fact that you can move it across the rear of the room is an added benefit.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Head

cool, thanks. Have to check ebay tomorrow.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search