The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My big "soffit"/corner traps
Old 13th May 2019
My big "soffit"/corner traps

I'm currently putting together two large corner traps for my back wall. They are roughly 45 cm wide, 175 cm tall (limited height due to angled wall) and 70 cm deep for the first 120 cm of height. After room measurements when they are completed, I may add a trap in between them to span the entire wall. This third trap would be 145 X 120 x 50 cm.

Thanks to this forum I believe I found decent insulation which I opted for as it was also on offer for a really low price: Ursa glasswool with GFR >=5. I guess the density of rockwool would be better for low end, but that was double the price.

Excuse the awful draping, it's what I had lying around and the traps won't be visible anyway.

Edit: erm...how do I attach pictures? Do I have to upload them to a hosting site first? *Blush*
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermal View Post
Edit: erm...how do I attach pictures? Do I have to upload them to a hosting site first? *Blush*
"Edit," "Go Advanced" and then "Manage Attachments"
Old 14th May 2019
Thank you!

Here are some pics. Finished the traps yesterday. Ugly as a baboon's arse, but they will be almost invisible when the stuff that has been moved away for the build, is put back in place.
Attached Thumbnails
My big "soffit"/corner traps-img_20190512_021239612.jpg   My big "soffit"/corner traps-img_20190513_223237126.jpg   My big "soffit"/corner traps-img_20190513_232920925.jpg   My big "soffit"/corner traps-img_20190514_002756934.jpg  
Old 15th May 2019
In the process of building a trap between the two corner ones:
Attached Thumbnails
My big "soffit"/corner traps-img_20190515_002356584.jpg  
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Guru

That looks like a good start. Just keep adding in corner and things will sound better.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Once you get over 1m high you need to start adding shelves every meter or so or the insulation will sag over time and degrade performance
Old 15th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
That looks like a good start. Just keep adding in corner and things will sound better.
Thanks! I figured that I'll inevitably be making mistakes, but better to get stuck in and learn than worry too much about how to make everything perfect. I'm sure it won't be my last DYI project!
Old 15th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Once you get over 1m high you need to start adding shelves every meter or so or the insulation will sag over time and degrade performance
Good call, for the centre trap I had to add an extra horizontal piece of wood (can't seem to find the right word) in the front at 1/3 of the way up as the insulation was bulging out there.

Guess I'll need to open and modify those corner traps in the future then. Do you think it will sag within just a few days or weeks?
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good call, for the centre trap I had to add an extra horizontal piece of wood (can't seem to find the right word) in the front at 1/3 of the way up as the insulation was bulging out there.

Guess I'll need to open and modify those corner traps in the future then. Do you think it will sag within just a few days or weeks?
Depending on how that middle board was oriented and how big it is, you could have issues as its likely a first reflection point. Typically an under layer of cheap fabric or netting is used instead to keep the insulation in place and then a finish layer of fabric spaced a little bit off the first layer helps get a crisp clean front. Theres a bit of a trick to stapling the fabric so it looks clean and smooth, i've learned this the hard way, but if you want to know i'll show you.

In regards to sagging, depending on how high you've stacked them, yes, they could have sagged already. This will compress the fiber, increasing density, and most likely GFR, resulting in decreased low frequency absorbtion. You're on the right track with your build, i'd hate for you to not reap all the rewards. For shelves in my room i just used cheap wire netting every meter and over 2 years it didnt sag a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
My big "soffit"/corner traps-img_1300.jpg   My big "soffit"/corner traps-20180917_175831.jpg  
Old 16th May 2019
Quote:
Depending on how that middle board was oriented and how big it is, you could have issues as its likely a first reflection point. Typically an under layer of cheap fabric or netting is used instead to keep the insulation in place and then a finish layer of fabric spaced a little bit off the first layer helps get a crisp clean front. Theres a bit of a trick to stapling the fabric so it looks clean and smooth, i've learned this the hard way, but if you want to know i'll show you.

In regards to sagging, depending on how high you've stacked them, yes, they could have sagged already. This will compress the fiber, increasing density, and most likely GFR, resulting in decreased low frequency absorbtion. You're on the right track with your build, i'd hate for you to not reap all the rewards. For shelves in my room i just used cheap wire netting every meter and over 2 years it didnt sag a bit.
That wire netting is clever, might have to bite your style. As my traps have standing sheets of insulation rather than lying ones, does this make any significant difference wrt sagging? I was hoping the sheets would have enough friction between themselves to remain upright..

I would be very thankful if you could share your stapling technique! (Now there's something I never thought I'd say, lol)
Old 16th May 2019
Here you can see the aforementioned middle board, btw.
Attached Thumbnails
My big "soffit"/corner traps-img_20190515_133924585.jpg  
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That wire netting is clever, might have to bite your style. As my traps have standing sheets of insulation rather than lying ones, does this make any significant difference wrt sagging? I was hoping the sheets would have enough friction between themselves to remain upright..

I would be very thankful if you could share your stapling technique! (Now there's something I never thought I'd say, lol)
Lol, never thought i'd be posting about stapling fabric either. I attached a pic in the general pattern i use. You gotta pull the fabric a bit tight with each staple, but follow the numbers and it turns out pretty nice every time
Attached Thumbnails
My big "soffit"/corner traps-20190515_185806.jpg  
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

I’d consider taking the insulation out and reconfiguring it so you’re laying it flat with some support as mentioned... it doesn’t have to look pretty and you’ll only have to do it once... otherwise, you will have to revisit at some point and restuff it after it compresses

Just an FYI... don’t forget a cloud... I found that a nice big thick one was the missing link in controlling bass in my room

I love that you figured out a clean way to work with the space you have! Sweet!
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Middle board is fine
Old 16th May 2019
Quote:
Lol, never thought i'd be posting about stapling fabric either. I attached a pic in the general pattern i use. You gotta pull the fabric a bit tight with each staple, but follow the numbers and it turns out pretty nice every time
Makes sense, appreciated! The window plug trap I built during the past two days ended up looking a lot crisper than my rear wall treatment, but it was a lot of work tightening the fabric with each staple!

Will be building one more of these to fill the whole window. The part that sticks out matches the side wall absorbers on the opposite side.
Attached Thumbnails
My big "soffit"/corner traps-img_20190516_141630075.jpg   My big "soffit"/corner traps-img_20190516_153318625.jpg   My big "soffit"/corner traps-img_20190516_164438500.jpg   My big "soffit"/corner traps-img_20190516_164854009.jpg   My big "soffit"/corner traps-img_20190516_165310607.jpg  

Old 16th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I’d consider taking the insulation out and reconfiguring it so you’re laying it flat with some support as mentioned... it doesn’t have to look pretty and you’ll only have to do it once... otherwise, you will have to revisit at some point and restuff it after it compresses

Just an FYI... don’t forget a cloud... I found that a nice big thick one was the missing link in controlling bass in my room

I love that you figured out a clean way to work with the space you have! Sweet!
Shucks, I thought about vertical layering rather than horizontal, but as the insulation has a sort of face sheet on one side I thought I'd better place them facing the speakers.

With the new one I made the height is 105 cm, so horizontal layering should hopefully be ok?

I have a cloud of sorts, it's just 120x120 cm but 10 cm thick glasswool with about 8 cm air gap (insulation is laid on top of a frame and wrapped with fabric, then the frame is fastened to the ceiling using hooks and a few cm of string). Helps a lot but wouldn't mind a bigger one
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Shucks, I thought about vertical layering rather than horizontal, but as the insulation has a sort of face sheet on one side I thought I'd better place them facing the speakers.

With the new one I made the height is 105 cm, so horizontal layering should hopefully be ok?

I have a cloud of sorts, it's just 120x120 cm but 10 cm thick glasswool with about 8 cm air gap (insulation is laid on top of a frame and wrapped with fabric, then the frame is fastened to the ceiling using hooks and a few cm of string). Helps a lot but wouldn't mind a bigger one
I’d say just arrange it so that you can easily take whatever the covering you do off relatively easily... you can totally do vertically... I have soffits where that’s what I did... I just hung them (imagine shirts hanging in your closet)... worked great
Old 20th May 2019
I have finally built the second window plug trap. Together they are about 110 x 105 cm and fairly deep. I think I stuck 50 cm of insulation in the first one but the second one has 40 as otherwise I would have been compressing the insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
My big "soffit"/corner traps-img_20190520_184134135.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search