The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound panels on wall behind monitors!
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Nut

Sound panels on wall behind monitors!

Hi,
i am looking to upgrade my studio and monitors to a professional
room ASAP but for now i am at home in a large square studio room maybe 6 x 6 m. 10ft ceiling.
I have made some high quality acoustic panels 8 of them.
I am only using for now HS7 and i am thinking of getting an Avantone mixcube as well.
I need to start making money from mixing so i can invest in a designated room and monitors.
I was wondering where to place the panels.
I have one behind each monitor with the monitors very close to the back wall.
Also i have covered left and right first reflection point just forward of me either side.
Also 2 panels in the front corners where i face from the top of ceiling almost to floor as bass traps.

Thats all i am using.
Any other suggestions for placement of these panels?
Nothing over my head or under my feet.

I am wondering if i need the panels behind the rear ported HS7?
Maybe i could place them somewhere else.

I was looking at a top mix engineer who only looks to cover overhead cloud etc and not worry too much about anywhere else.
I saw his monitor setup also and it did not look like much behind the monitors and no bass traps at all.

Any suggestions for home studio.
I am looking to start a professional setup soon this is what i have to work with for now
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear
Use search function.

Behind monitors--absorption, diffusion?
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Addict

If you can move your panels around, I would measure as many positions as you can come up with and decide based on impulse response and spectrogram.
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Nut

Just going on sound so far and with the two front corners covered top to bottom and first reflection to
the left and right i used the last 2 panels behind the monitors and pushed the monitors as far back to the wall
as i could.
From what i have read this is what ive tried so far.
Overheads i think it looks like are the most important straight over mixing desk.
So i will need to think of options for that one until i can move into my own studio room to work.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

How thick are these high quality panels and what are they stuffed with? Basically one panel deep isn’t a bass trap unless you’ve cracked the magical code...

What do you have on the rear wall (the one behind where you sit). And in the rear wall corners?

It doesn’t sound like you have very much treatment in that room

A cloud is a great addition... make it thick and it can act as an additional bass trap as well
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Nut

I have used the professional grade acoustic foam panels 120cm x 60cm and covered them in breathable material with t light wood frame.
There are only 8 panels but its not going to be my long term mixing space.
I have seen some big thick half cylinder clouds in studio im not sure what they are made from?
does anyone know they look like some type of white foam.
The other option is doing up another batch of acoustic panels DIY what are great and light and easy
and hanging a heap overhead?
That might leave me with a couple spare as well to place on the back wall behind me.
thanks
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear
I use 2'x4'x2" and 4'X4'X4" panels with two sets of hooks. One set at the top, and another 40% the way down.

I put up a rail around the room. Can move the panels around and up and down 1 notch.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search