The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
(bed)Room acoustics: bay window
Old 5 days ago
(bed)Room acoustics: bay window

Hi everyone, I plan to move to a new place and this would be a room for my studio. What do you think about bay windows? Does anyone have decent sounding room with them? I have more precise dimensions if anyone interested
Attached Thumbnails
(bed)Room acoustics: bay window-screen-shot-2019-04-16-16.22.07.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavelostmykeys View Post
What do you think about bay windows?
I think they will be difficult to get rid of so make the most of the room you have.

Quote:
Does anyone have decent sounding room with them?
Not me.

While it is normal to set up with your monitors facing down the length of the room, I wonder whether in your case that will create more problems of symmetry, whereas if you set up facing the bay window then symmetry at least as far as the listening position will symmetrical.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Try this:
Attached Thumbnails
(bed)Room acoustics: bay window-screen-shot-2019-04-16-16.22.07.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Try this:
This is the plan. Do you think this room can sound relatively good with certain amount of treatments? I plan to put standing absorbers in front of window, one above my head and some in the back and sides, don’t have any diffusers
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
This is the plan. Do you think this room can sound relatively good with certain amount of treatments? I plan to put standing absorbers in front of window, one above my head and some in the back and sides, don’t have any diffusers
Your windows are your basstrap. Do not put anything in front of them.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Your windows are your basstrap. Do not put anything in front of them.
I thought they will reflect mid to high frequencies. Do you think roller blinders would be enough?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Ain't no mid* and high behind your monitors. So no mid and high freq. treatments needed.

So focus your treatment on your rear wall, and first refl. points (inc. ceiling!)

Another advice if you have the budget is to hire an acoustician. We are luck to have some experts here

*Depends on your monitors though. I will link a post if you need more details.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
I will link a post if you need more details.
sure, please do
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

JayPee is givng excellent advice (as always), but do check one thing about your windows: rattles. If those are operable windows, or even just thin glass, or poorly fitted glass, or anything loose on them, the proximity of the speakers at high levels could cause them to rattle. That's not something you want coming from a spot where you can't even see it from the mix position, and might be fooled into thinking it is in your mix, not in the window.... So seal them up well, tighten all hinges, handles, etc, and check that they don't rattle or vibrate.

Also, if those windows get a lot of direct sunlight, you might want to add some type of heat/light reflective film to the glass, or hang curtains, to protect your speakers. It's not a good idea to have the full force of the sun hitting your expensive monitors. There are several types of film that can be applied to the glass surface (either inside, or outside, or both) to block most of the heat and UV radiation. Some you can apply yourself, but some need specialized application by a glazier. If you do it yourself, beware of tiny air bubbles trapped between the film and the glass... They don't affect the acoustics or the sunlight, of course, but they do look ugly! Annoying... distracting.... (Been there, done that. ).

- Stuart -

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search