The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice and thoughts about gear placement... Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
Advice and thoughts about gear placement...

So for example which is generally acoustically/practically best?

1 Mixer on a frame with nothing underneath
2 Mixer on 19" rack filled with slutty outboard

Problem with the first one is I will have to put a rack to one side.

And how do acousticians generally approach equipment layout?

Is a small mixer acoustically better than a large one?

Just trying to get creative with space.

How about one double width rack with EVERYTHING in it with the mixer on top? or
A big rack with everything in it behind my listening position? I often see pictures of studios with equipment racks behind them. Doesn't look quite right to me.

I am lucky (slutty) enough to own a Moog Voyager and a Matrix Brute. They have hinges to angle the control surface. Is it best I have them flat or slightly angle up?

It seems that one thing that could mess with your acoustics is the physical equipment! A vicious circle?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Generally speaking, in terms of acoustics, the "rule of thumb" is the exact opposite of Gearslutz Law - that being: the less gear, the better. Think Marie Kondo on meth.

The ideal set up would new no desk at all, perhaps just a chair with one of those mouse-pads on the arms, a monitor screen fixed flat to the front wall between the speakers and a computer tucked away out of sight, connected via wifi. No outboard. No clutter. No toys.

But of course nobody does that
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
Silence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skol303 View Post
Generally speaking, in terms of acoustics, the "rule of thumb" is the exact opposite of Gearslutz Law - that being: the less gear, the better. Think Marie Kondo on meth.

The ideal set up would new no desk at all, perhaps just a chair with one of those mouse-pads on the arms, a monitor screen fixed flat to the front wall between the speakers and a computer tucked away out of sight, connected via wifi. No outboard. No clutter. No toys.

Except John cage not sure he needs that plug socket or mic tho...
Attached Thumbnails
Advice and thoughts about gear placement...-anechoic.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Actually, some mastering engineers do exactly that! They have no desk or console in front of them at all, and rather have their gear in very low profile "pods" on either side of their chair. Thus, no surfaces to cause reflections, phase cancellation, comb filtering, etc. On the other hand, that does make it harder to deal with the floor bounce...

But getting back to Carl's question; the basic concept is make your desk as small as it can be, and as low profile as it can be, with no shelves, posts, or other obstructions sticking out above the desk surface. You can have gear mounted in it, yes, but if you do that then tilt it and angle it. For example, if you have gear on top of the surface, then tilt it back steeply, so that it is partly embedded in the surface of the desk, and angled such that it does not cause reflections to your ears. IF you want to have racks in the "legs" of the desk, you can do that too: just angle those sections into "wings" that stick out at angles from the main part of the desk, and once again tilted to keep reflections away from your head. Some people even tilt the entire desk surface towards the mix position, for the same reason.

Also, make the desk itself as "open" as possible: don't use large slabs of solid wood or metal: rather, cut big holes in those slabs, or better still just use an open framework to support it, if possible.

Basically, the smaller is is, the better.

Here's one I designed a while back, for a small studio. It incorporates all of those featuers, and a few other things you can't see...
Attached Thumbnails
Advice and thoughts about gear placement...-soundman2020-m1-desk-01-sml.jpg  
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search