The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quiet Rock drywall
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quiet Rock drywall

I need to install a decoupled ceiling with some mass to acoustically isolate a recording space from raindrops. My plan is to remove he existing T-111 wood & put up web (hat) channel, hung on "whisper clips" and 2 layers of 5/8" drywall with greenglue between them.

My question is: Has anyone worked with "Quietrock" and if so is it really worth the expense? (drywall about $8/sheet, Quietrock $56/sheet)

I'll appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance !

Jim
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

No, not worth the cost, especially with green glue. Just use normal type x drywall.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
No, not worth the cost, especially with green glue. Just use normal type x drywall.
Yup. Sound waves can't read price tags, so they wont be impressed about how much you pay for your mass. All they care about is the mass itself. To them 100kg of ordinary gypsum is just as good as 100kg of pure gold.

So figure out what surface density you need, then buy the least expensive materials that will get you said surface density.

- Stuart -
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Addict

Thanks guys!

Q: How do I figure out the surface density I need?
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrasound View Post
Q: How do I figure out the surface density I need?
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...DZU-HXAV-VX8tl

Use the MAM frequency equation to determine the resonant frequency of your partition. At the resonant frequency you will have little isolation. Above that, you will have isolation. So, determine your frequency isolation requirements and build accordingly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search