The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Possibly Stupid Question About U-Boats
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear

Possibly Stupid Question About U-Boats

if I put u-boats under the legs of my studio desk, will that reduce/deaden sound transfer to the floor below?
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Hmmm... to me, a u boat is a submarine. You got a link to a product?
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Jason: Auralex U-Boat Floor Floaters, for example.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

It will certainly keep US destroyers at bay
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Jason: Auralex U-Boat Floor Floaters, for example.
Oh, gotcha. Thanks!
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyLuvd2Bowl View Post
if I put u-boats under the legs of my studio desk, will that reduce/deaden sound transfer to the floor below?
Being that they are for floating floors, i doubt that your desk would be heavy enough to achrive the drflection required for decoupling. Best thing to do would be ask auralex, since its their product
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Auralex says, here, "How much weight will U-Boats support? U-Boats have been placed under floors supporting quite a bit of weight. However, testing for compressive tolerances is expensive and to keep U-Boat costs down, we have never verified performance. We have discussed the properties of U-Boats with rubber experts and we have been assured that: ”The framing member will fail before the U-Boat will fail.” This is good enough for us!

I am not sure that is good enough for us. How much weight does the OP's desk have: quite a bit or too much or too little? If Auralex cannot be bothered to get its products tested then it must be difficult to take its business model and products seriously.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Auralex says, here, "How much weight will U-Boats support? U-Boats have been placed under floors supporting quite a bit of weight. However, testing for compressive tolerances is expensive and to keep U-Boat costs down, we have never verified performance. We have discussed the properties of U-Boats with rubber experts and we have been assured that: ”The framing member will fail before the U-Boat will fail.” This is good enough for us!

I am not sure that is good enough for us. How much weight does the OP's desk have: quite a bit or too much or too little? If Auralex cannot be bothered to get its products tested then it must be difficult to take its business model and products seriously.
It's not exactly about failure but about resonance frequencies.
The OP could also revert to tested products like Agglomer and all the derivates.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Being that they are for floating floors,
Well, yeah.. but.... I'd add a caveat to that: They are for low-mass, lousy, not-really-floating floors that don't actually work very well at all...

I do agree with the suggestion to contact the manufacturer and ask for the actual technical specs on those... such as the Shore durometer rating of the rubber, or the correct static deflection, or the loading that will get to that deflection, and the resonant frequency for that loading.... It would be great to get that.... But I have a feeling you won't meet with much success there... as far as I know, they have never released those numbers for that product. Strange ...

- Stuart -
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

So true! When you look at the math, it's clear that even if those things are perfectly suited to the job, the result would still be useless for correctly floating a studio floor. Low-mass floating floors don't work. Just by standing on it, you change the tuning....

My guess is that they actually DID get the product tested, either in their own labs or an independent lab, but then chose not to publish the results.... I wonder why?

Why would you make a product that you want to sell for a specific purpose, then NOT test / publish that data that is needed for using it?

Strange...

Anyway, getting back to the original topic: Why do you want to float your desk?

- Stuart -
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
So true! When you look at the math, it's clear that even if those things are perfectly suited to the job, the result would still be useless for correctly floating a studio floor. Low-mass floating floors don't work. Just by standing on it, you change the tuning....

My guess is that they actually DID get the product tested, either in their own labs or an independent lab, but then chose not to publish the results.... I wonder why?

Why would you make a product that you want to sell for a specific purpose, then NOT test / publish that data that is needed for using it?

Strange...

Anyway, getting back to the original topic: Why do you want to float your desk?

- Stuart -
Also, why would they sell 2" foam panels as "room treatment", and mopads as speaker decouplers too? Because they prey on ignorace and ignore science to make a quick buck.

I wonder why they arent active on acoustics forums...
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Tbe cost is quite prohibitive. A ruler AND a weigh scale for deflection measurements.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear
In the more subjective, if you get some mason spring isolators or similar and float something relatively light (say a couple hundred pounds or less) the result is springy and wobbly.

Something like an AHU hanging on properly sized iso spring hangers can be pushed around with one finger. I floated my big speakers (about 200lbs) on mason isolators and they are the same. I can't see proper floating with reasonably high deflection working well for a desk, very effective at decreasing bass transfer to the room downstairs though.
Old 12th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Tbe cost is quite prohibitive. A ruler AND a weigh scale for deflection measurements.
Hahahaha!
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Well, in all fairness, i think i read somewhere that in order to get the data for the testing of their products, all testing equipment had to first be calibrated with 100% virgin snake oil. We all know how expensive a liter of snake oil is, so i can see their point.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quite honestly, I'm just disappointed that this thread isn't really about U-Boats

Q: "Why are the acoustics so bad in here?"
A: "Because it's a submarine, dumbass!"

Possibly Stupid Question About U-Boats-das-boot-807x538.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skol303 View Post
Quite honestly, I'm just disappointed that this thread isn't really about U-Boats

U-boat is an anglicised version of the German word U-Boot [ˈuːboːt] (About this soundlisten), a shortening of Unterseeboot, literally "underseaboat." While the German term refers to any submarine, the English one (in common with several other languages) refers specifically to military submarines operated by Germany, particularly in the First and Second World Wars. Although at times they were efficient fleet weapons against enemy naval warships, they were most effectively used in an economic warfare role (commerce raiding) and enforcing a naval blockade against enemy shipping. The primary targets of the U-boat campaigns in both wars were the merchant convoys bringing supplies from Canada and other parts of the British Empire, and from the United States to the United Kingdom and (during the Second World War) to the Soviet Union and the Allied territories in the Mediterranean. German submarines also destroyed Brazilian merchant ships during World War II, causing Brazil to declare war on the Axis powers in 1944.

Austro-Hungarian Navy submarines were also known as U-boats.

U-boat - Wikipedia
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

To be honest, I think you might be on to something! I reckon that type of u-boat actually would do a pretty good job of "floating" your floor.... then later sinking it, of course... But either way, it would still float far better than a rubber puck that the manufacturer refuses to test!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search