The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What dimensions would you build with approx 8-9 sqm?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What dimensions would you build with approx 8-9 sqm?

Hi all,
I am building a studio (control room /production studio) from scratch, so no limitation on shape, but I can only afford a max of around 9sqm, a sound proofed garden room....

This will be the internal size and I do not need to add soundproofing (I do need to add acoustics which I know will be difficult).

I have been given the option to follow a garden boundary that may give me around 30-50cm more at one end compared to the other (no extra cost!!!), this would be a none parallel wall.

Max ceiling height is 2.19m. It's likely that this would need to go down to 2.13m at one end to allow rain run off (local permitted development is 250cm external height)

Based on 1:1.25:1.6 ( I have averaged the ceiling height to 2.15m) I think this measurement is best???
2.15m H x 2.68 W x 3.44 L = 9.25sqm or 19.8 cubic meters

I know this is a small room, with a very low ceiling, low end will require a lot of treatment, but cost is the limit.....it still beats the room inside the house that would have been used (a cube!!)

questions are....

Is that the best dimension I can go for given the space?

The offset / splayed wall would be at no extra cost, should I take up that offer or just go with a square (as in exact rectangle)? It would give me slightly more room volume and I could also splay the short wall where the monitors would be, to keep the left and right walls parallel (the back wall would then be offset.

I'm so lost with this so appreciate the help, I seem to be going around into the same threads, websites and videos...

Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would give you the same answer here that I already gave you over on the John Sayers forum, but it's probably easier for you to just read it once, over there...

- Stuart -
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
I would give you the same answer here that I already gave you over on the John Sayers forum, but it's probably easier for you to just read it once, over there...

- Stuart -
Haha thanks I appreciate the tips over there

Edit:and here
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I thought these would help you as they helped me.

hunecke.de | Knowledge

Bass Traps 101 - Your Guide to Corner Bass Trap Placement

Donato Masci speaks at LLB 2018 on Studio Design and Multichannel Audio - YouTube

Barry Rudolph and Warren Huart studio treatment - YouTube

Everything will depend on the ratio, and size/shape of the room... and you can use hte Eigenmode calculator in the first link to help you visualize the pressure zones.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I've added a sketch (aware it would look better if I had a PC drawn one but I have difficulty accessing the only PC I have hence needing a studio lol!!)

My main question really is should i go 90° on all angle of the builds or follow the blue line which would give me a little extra room volume and angled walls?
Attached Thumbnails
What dimensions would you build with approx 8-9 sqm?-20190413_005043-1.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Keep the symmetry.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Freeland View Post
Keep the symmetry.
Yup. Absolutely. If you really do have your heart set on splaying your walls, then do so symmetrically: Instead of splaying one wall by 12°, much better would be to splay both of them by 6° each, and keep the front wall parallel to the rear wall.

Symmetry is critical. Spayed walls are not.

Yes, maximize room volume as much as possible, but do it in a smart way, to also keep the room symmetrical.

- Stuart -

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search