The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Interview with Andy Munro - Acoustics
Old 11th March 2019
Interview with Andy Munro - Acoustics

I hope you'll enjoy listening to this.

Interviews | Interview - Andy Munro On Studio Acoustics & Room Treatment

A really good interview with esteemed UK acoustician Andy Munro, which is also downloadable.

Very well recorded and dare I say a keepsake.

He challenges a lot of conventional wisdom and marketing driven conventions behind traditional acoustics products, and I tend to agree with him. Definitely lots of food for thought.

He also has experience working with the BBC, which is a no-nonsense world class business, that can afford to spend taxpayers money on the utmost, no expense spared research/implementation.

Do share your thoughts on this.
Old 12th March 2019
Here for the gear

I definitely agree with Mr. Munro on not using egg crates, blankets, and foam at all for acoustic treatment. They can create more problems than solve.

He mentions 85 dB, but I no longer subscribe to 85 dB. It is not safe, because a typical Class 2 SPL meter can be off by +/- 2 dB. So what you think is 85 dB could actually be 87 dB. If you listen at 83 dB (commonly used in cinema) then you allow room for a margin of meter error. If your SPL meter is off by 1 or 2 dB, then you could be listening at 84 or 85 dB which would be safer than 87 dB. And... to add to the margin of error, phone meter apps can be off by as much as 10 dB! So your 85 dB could 95 dB. Never use a phone app for serious measurements. Protect your ear health with a high-quality Class 2 or Class 1 SPL meter. The sound meter I use is the Testo 815. It's very accurate at +/- 1 dB. testo 815 sound level meter | Sound | CO,CO₂,light and sound | Parameters | Testo, Inc
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Hill View Post
I definitely agree with Mr. Munro on not using egg crates, blankets, and foam at all for acoustic treatment. They can create more problems than solve.

He mentions 85 dB, but I no longer subscribe to 85 dB. It is not safe, because a typical Class 2 SPL meter can be off by +/- 2 dB. So what you think is 85 dB could actually be 87 dB. If you listen at 83 dB (commonly used in cinema) then you allow room for a margin of meter error. If your SPL meter is off by 1 or 2 dB, then you could be listening at 84 or 85 dB which would be safer than 87 dB. And... to add to the margin of error, phone meter apps can be off by as much as 10 dB! So your 85 dB could 95 dB. Never use a phone app for serious measurements. Protect your ear health with a high-quality Class 2 or Class 1 SPL meter. The sound meter I use is the Testo 815. It's very accurate at +/- 1 dB. testo 815 sound level meter | Sound | CO,CO₂,light and sound | Parameters | Testo, Inc
Great guy cant explain all of acoustic knowledge in a live interview. For example he mentions how you hear less bass at lower levels but fails to mention that the same will happen with high frequencies too. I find the perception of HiHats equally prone to loudness levels.
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Hill View Post

To be honest 85dBs is pretty loud for me. Even at 85dBs frequency response is not exactly flat. You are absolutely right about iPhone SPL meters. I have one that I cant even get to go to 85dBs. They can do frequency really well, my iStrobe tuner is the best tuner I have ever used. But the mic on an iPhone cant deal with the dynamic range to measure it.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Equal Loudness Contours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Freeland View Post
Great guy cant explain all of acoustic knowledge in a live interview. For example he mentions how you hear less bass at lower levels but fails to mention that the same will happen with high frequencies too. I find the perception of HiHats equally prone to loudness levels.
(bolded mine)

According to Floyd Toole that is a common myth! Widely spread on the internet and in books and articles long before that. (See if I can find his quote).

Take a look at the ELC graph.
At 1kHz these curves are 20 dB appart. Still so at 10 kHz!
In the low end the contours are "compressed".
Interview with Andy Munro - Acoustics-1000px-lindos1.svg.jpg
Which means: If you turn down your volume knob just 10 dB it sounds like bass disappears, but mids and highs are still there.

This is scientificly investigated a number of times and probably the reason why Andy Munroe ”fails" to mention that.

Bass have a much smaller "useful dynamic range" compared to higher frequencies. That’s why even bass response in a room will help the engineer to make a better mix.

Best
Attached Thumbnails
Interview with Andy Munro - Acoustics-1000px-lindos1.svg.jpg  

Last edited by akebrake; 6th June 2019 at 10:36 AM..
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by akebrake View Post
(bolded mine)

According to Floyd Toole that is a common myth! Widely spread on the internet and in books and articles long before that. (See if I can find his quote).

Take a look at the ELC graph.
At 1kHz these curves are 20 dB appart. Still so at 10 kHz!
In the low end the contours are "compressed".

Which means: If you turn down your volume knob just 10 dB it sounds like bass disappears, but mids and highs are still there.

This is scientificly investigated a number of times and probably the reason why Andy Munroe ”fails" to mention that.

Bass have a much smaller "useful dynamic range" compared to higher frequencies. That’s why even bass response in a room will help the engineer to make a better mix.

Best
Cool thanks for your input. It may very well be because of the perception of the bass at lower levels that affects how you mix for example HiHats? I can actually hear this happening.

try this.
Set the level and eq of your HiHats at lower listening levels. Stay at this level long enough for you echoic memory to take over. Then turn up the monitoring to your reference level. Are your HiHats too loud now? Mine are.

Then when you have re-set them turn down the monitors. The hiHats now are lower but somehow seem to sit right in the mix better/right way.

My ears are telling me that yes the bass is affected more but the highs are also affected by loudness

So I am not convinced that the perception of higher frequencies is not affected by loudness as I can reproduce this phenomena again and again.
Yeah you are so right about getting a smooth bass response. If you can get it flat from the lowest your room can do past 200-300Hz you are kind of winning.
Thanks again for taking the time to do this. You are right "fails" is the wrong word.

Thinking about it if you were mixing at lower levels and mixed your bass/hihats so they sounded balanced at that level you would push up your hihats. Then when you go to reference level they will be too loud. I am pretty sure I don't do that though.

Last edited by Carl Freeland; 6th June 2019 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Added info

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search