The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stop Sound leakage from the door
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Stop Sound leakage from the door

Dear community,

Before anyone says anything, yes I did look up similar posts, though they did not answer my question as I believe is somewhat unique.

I am renting a condo, the sound leaks through the home enterance. I want to stop that. To give you an idea of the room, well, its a rather long 18' room, at one end is the enterance, at the other is my speakers. (Basically everything is set up in my living-room/kitchen.

I am thinking of building of a floor to ceiling (any other ideas are welcome) sound insulation panel using one of the following materials as base:
1. OC 706 unfaced 2";
2. OC Thermafire 4"/6";
3. OC 705 unfaced 4"; or
4. OC 703 unfaced 4".
I want something that is very safe to handle (doesn't require a mask or gloves); primary concern for this is that I never want to worry about "oh I'm breathing in the fibers". Additionally, something that doesn't gas or it's very safe (i.e. Thermafire which is formaldehyde-free).

I'd really appreciate your guys' help.

Let me know if you need more information.

Cheers.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vini View Post
Dear community,

Before anyone says anything, yes I did look up similar posts, though they did not answer my question as I believe is somewhat unique.

I am renting a condo, the sound leaks through the home enterance. I want to stop that. To give you an idea of the room, well, its a rather long 18' room, at one end is the enterance, at the other is my speakers. (Basically everything is set up in my living-room/kitchen.

I am thinking of building of a floor to ceiling (any other ideas are welcome) sound insulation panel using one of the following materials as base:
1. OC 706 unfaced 2";
2. OC Thermafire 4"/6";
3. OC 705 unfaced 4"; or
4. OC 703 unfaced 4".
I want something that is very safe to handle (doesn't require a mask or gloves); primary concern for this is that I never want to worry about "oh I'm breathing in the fibers". Additionally, something that doesn't gas or it's very safe (i.e. Thermafire which is formaldehyde-free).

I'd really appreciate your guys' help.

Let me know if you need more information.

Cheers.
Insulation doesn't provide meaningful isolation. It takes mass to stop sound. Read up on sound isolation construction techniques.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

You need door gaskets and a drop seal for the door bottom. You should be able to surface mount these
Components with minimal damage.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Doubling the door in the same jam and replacing both with solid core doors works pretty good. In addition,
I added an extra 1" of closed cell foam to the inside of the outside door, which sealed the air gap between the doors.
I also added three layers of 1/8" MLV to the outside of the outside door.
Sealed both doors with closed cell foam weather stripping.
The seals are very important too, think of a watertight seal as a ideal preferred case.
This worked extremely well and I have a measured TL of 79db.

YYMV

Light

Temple
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Light View Post
Doubling the door in the same jam and replacing both with solid core doors works pretty good.
Even better if the inner door is smaller than the outer one and the jamb is built out to fit it. Bank-vault style.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search