The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need advice on studio, monitors, and placement options Studio Headphones
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Need advice on studio, monitors, and placement options

Hello,

I've recently got back into music production and I have been using my Ableton Push 2 in my living room setup with a nice DAC/AMP and HD650's as well as Audeze LCD-2's just to check the mix later.

I do have a spare room that is currently part office, part storage, part soldering/drone/workshop.

I prefer to work in my living room as of now but my desk is not and cannot be centered in the room.

I'd like to get some studio monitors but being that my desk in the living room is fairly close to one side of the room I'm almost certain I will have stereo/imaging/balance issues.

Conversely, I could set my spare room up to be a studio I do already have some treatment in that room but I would need to get a new desk, and sell or get rid of a lot of things that are in that room. My corner desk is not setup for centered monitors. I do plan to turn this room into a more dedicated studio eventually but for now I'm considering if it's worth getting some studio monitors for the living room setup.

Another option is to get some small monitors like the IK Multimedia Micro iLoud monitors. My only concern is these are small and my living room is large with a cathedral ceiling so I'm not sure if this would be a good idea. However, I was thinking these might be a good option so that I can produce in my living room for now and not use headphones 100% of the time and then when I make my dedicated studio I can get real monitors and just keep the living room setup for little sessions when I'm feeling creative.

So my question is. For the living room setup in which monitors cannot be centered and room treatment will not be ideal. Should I get something like the 3" IK Multimedia Micro's or should I just get real monitors and deal with the poor room acoustics until I set my studio up? If I could maybe get my living room setup to work with a DSP and some treatment I wouldn't mind getting real monitors for this temporary setup.

This is my living room setup...the desk is to the right out of the frame of the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on studio, monitors, and placement options-img_5249.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

edit - it won't let me add another pic

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search