The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Monitor Placement & Treatment Advice
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Studio Monitor Placement & Treatment Advice

I'm planning on turning the main room of my apartment into a room for mixing and light tracking room.

Here is the layout:

Thanks to GIK Acoustics for the online tool.

That large window on the lower right is all single pane glass doors 215 cm high. The lower left area is a kitchen with cabinets. The doors on the left side are all to bedrooms and bathrooms. What looks like a window on the far left is also a door to a bedroom. The ceiling is 260 cm high everywhere except the upper left area and hallway which are 218 cm high. The horizontal measurements are wall to wall even though they don't look like it.

My two main questions are:

1) Where to place my desk/monitors?

2) What sort of acoustic treatment should I prioritize?

I'm assuming that placing my desk/monitors along the 490 cm wall on the right is best, so that the longest part of the room is behind me. It seems like the cabinets in the kitchen and open doors to the various other rooms could offer a bit of diffusion.

Although if I place my desk/monitors along the upper right 390 cm, I can actually open the windows behind me most of the time. They open out into nothingness since I'm eleven floors up.

When the windows are closed there is some high end reflection, but am I right in assuming they function like bass traps because the bass escapes right through them?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search