The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should I acoustic treat my room or build a small booth ? Condenser Microphones
Old 6 days ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Should I acoustic treat my room or build a small booth ?

Hello everybody,

I wanted to build a home studio on a budget. I decided to purchase the Rode NT1. I've learned that acoustical treatment is really important. My room is 11.81ft wide, 14.1ft long and 8.2ft heigh. Both the window and the door are on the shorter walls across from each other. On one side I have my wardrobe and TV station and on the other my bed and Desk. I know that I need bass traps and acoustic panels to really treat my room. I only have around 100 dollar. I don't intend to mix my music with speakers. I rather do it with headphones. Now to the questions.

Should I try to treat my whole room with as much panels and bass traps as i can afford or make myself a small area in one corner with a bass trap and acoustic panels and blankets ? Density.

Where would I place the microphone in the room ?

If I would treat my whole room what would I do about the window and the door ?

What other things could I do to get better sound quality ?

Will I even get good enough quality for a condenser microphone to really work or should I wait and save up for a Shure sm7b ?

Any other tips ? Thank you so much and I know that you get questions like these all the time but everything is really confusing and I don't want to do anything wrong.
Old 6 days ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Welcome to Gearslutz!

It is hard to help with out some more information. Where are you geographically? Can you make things yourself? This often referred to as DIY.

Andre
Old 6 days ago
  #3
Here for the gear
 

I am in Germany and I could probably make some stuff myself or get my uncle to do it .
Old 6 days ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by likerholicz View Post
I am in Germany and I could probably make some stuff myself or get my uncle to do it .
Great!

Price out 20 cm thick lightweight insulation, wood or metal framing and lightweight fabric. Build as many 60 x 120 cm absorbers as fits the budget. Enjoy.

Andre
Old 6 days ago
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Should I face the window side or the door side ? and where should I place the microphone ? In the middle of the room ? or is that not as important ?
Old 6 days ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by likerholicz View Post
Should I face the window side or the door side ? and where should I place the microphone ? In the middle of the room ? or is that not as important ?
You do not the budget right now to do all the treatment. Start facing the window about 4/7 or 2/7 of the length and the microphone 3/7. Move and experiment, oh, and ENJOY!


Andre
Old 6 days ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
If you start by treating only the four corners, floor to ceiling, that will help a lot and use up a chunk of your current budget. If you don't mind keeping it funky, for not a lot of money you can simply hang foil faced virgin fiberglass insulation from ceiling to floor, foil facing out. You can then attach the cloth covering to the wall itself and avoid the cost of a wooden or metal frame. Alternatively you can use Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass insulation board but it is much more expensive though easier to work with and cover.
Old 6 days ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
If you start by treating only the four corners, floor to ceiling,

. Alternatively you can use Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass insulation board but it is much more expensive though easier to work with and cover.
That would be an incredibly inefficient use of the OP's money. The OP is Germany. Owens Corning 703 is not available there.

Andre
Old 6 days ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
That would be an incredibly inefficient use of the OP's money. The OP is Germany. Owens Corning 703 is not available there.

Andre
Ah. Didn't know that. What do you suggest? Are you also discounting my advice about the corners or are you only referring to the 703 issue? In my experience, treating the corners in the way I suggested is cheap and effective at taming the worst reverberations. That's why I recommended it as a first line of fire/best use of money.
Old 5 days ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Ah. Didn't know that. What do you suggest? Are you also discounting my advice about the corners or are you only referring to the 703 issue? In my experience, treating the corners in the way I suggested is cheap and effective at taming the worst reverberations. That's why I recommended it as a first line of fire/best use of money.
Both, in this case. The OP does not have enough money to cover the corners with 20 cm deep insulation. Small patches (60 x 120cm) will give significantly more absorption than implied by area. Strategically locating roughly in the middle walls, but directly opposite each other will provide outstanding performance.
Old 5 days ago
  #11
Lives for gear
Why would you face the foil into the room? Am I reading that correctly?
Old 5 days ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Why would you face the foil into the room? Am I reading that correctly?
Because the SPLs build up at boundaries and in the case of corners fire back out from them into the room like a horn loaded speaker.
Old 5 days ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Both, in this case. The OP does not have enough money to cover the corners with 20 cm deep insulation. Small patches (60 x 120cm) will give significantly more absorption than implied by area. Strategically locating roughly in the middle walls, but directly opposite each other will provide outstanding performance.
$100 could easily buy the required 38 feet x 23 inches wide. I'm surprised you're suggesting not prioritizing the corners where the build up and dispersion back into the room is the greatest. I stand by my recommendation until you explain to me otherwise.
Old 5 days ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
$100 could easily buy the required 38 feet x 23 inches wide. I'm surprised you're suggesting not prioritizing the corners where the build up and dispersion back into the room is the greatest. I stand by my recommendation until you explain to me otherwise.
You are welcome to stand or write as you wish.

Andre
Old 5 days ago
  #15
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Because the SPLs build up at boundaries and in the case of corners fire back out from them into the room like a horn loaded speaker.
My question has nothing to do with corners or horns.
Foil will pass low frequencies and make no noticeable difference to the LF performance of trapping, in or out of corners.
The question is why anyone would face the foil surface into the room. For higher frequencies that would seem to create a flat reflective surface which will bounce HF back into the room coherently (without diffusion).
Old 5 days ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
You are welcome to stand or write as you wish.

Andre
My point was not to be obstinate, but to solicit more information. I understand that you are somewhat of an expert in this field, though, IME, there is disagreement even among experts.
Old 5 days ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
My question has nothing to do with corners or horns.
Foil will pass low frequencies and make no noticeable difference to the LF performance of trapping, in or out of corners.
The question is why anyone would face the foil surface into the room. For higher frequencies that would seem to create a flat reflective surface which will bounce HF back into the room coherently (without diffusion).
The point is that the desire is not necessarily to dampen wholesale, but trapping to the extent that one can in a cost effective way. In this context, the reflection of higher frequencies is not necessarily a bad thing, and there is a diffusive action since the foil is on the bias to the wall angles. IOW, the insulation is to be hung in such a way as to cut off the corners created by the walls.

Perhaps Andre can comment on these ideas, if he is willing to explain in more detail why he disagrees with my suggestions.
Old 5 days ago
  #18
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
The point is that the desire is not necessarily to dampen wholesale.
Perhaps. I would think that in a room with no treatment, full range trapping is where you start. As you progress, if REW (or your ears) tell you that the room is getting too dead at the higher frequencies, that is when you could range-limit additional traps you might still need to control bass peaks and nulls.
But that is a difference in procedure, not a disagreement about what the foil does.
Thanks for your responses.
Old 5 days ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
IME, overdamping the room is something to avoid from the get go, but it depends on your goals and the size of the room. Small rooms sound bad, so over dampening them is your only choice.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
mazeenriquez / Studio building / acoustics
4
MarioV / Studio building / acoustics
1
RARStudios / Studio building / acoustics
1
brooklynhero / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump