The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustic Advice for my recording room
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Smile Acoustic Advice for my recording room

Hello friends,
i want to post here my acoustic measurement of my recording room (it is not a mixing room or control room, this is just the recording room).
The room is big about 6.6x13x2.75 meters.
The room is good and i did there a lot of recordings, no great problems in the mixing stage, we usually do classical music and record a lot of vocals for pop and rap music.
But i would like to know if i want to do additional sound treatement, how can i improve the sound of the room.

thanks

and here the direct link to the image: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Last edited by soundcard91; 1 week ago at 11:22 PM.. Reason: direct link to image
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

It depends on how you want the recordings to sound and instruments being used and their placement. Having the ability the change the acoustic environment would often be beneficial in a recording venue. Meaning you would need both absorbers and diffusers.
Other than that bass absorption is critical. Do as much bass trapping as possible but preferable in ways that doesn't steal too much space.

Your measurement doesn't show enough details. One would need a to see what's going on in the critical time domain.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

i have the entire REW measurement so i can export additional data if you tell me which one thanks
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

anyway here you can find the etc graph Imgur: The magic of the Internet
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

That measurement says nothing. Better if you upload the mdat file. It should contain one measurement of each speaker and preferably also one where both are measured together.

Perhaps more importantly though and since this is a recording room, is showing pictures of the room and say something about you're looking for in type of sound and flexibility. And what's the budget? Are you planning to build or buy?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Omholt View Post
That measurement says nothing. Better if you upload the mdat file. It should contain one measurement of each speaker and preferably also one where both are measured together.

Perhaps more importantly though and since this is a recording room, is showing pictures of the room and say something about you're looking for in type of sound and flexibility. And what's the budget? Are you planning to build or buy?
Hello, in the room there aren't speakers, it is the room where the instruments play and i record them with the mics.
So i positioned a KRK RP6 Speaker in the position where the instrument should play and measured the response of the room at a distance of about 3 meters, the mic was an ecm 8000 pointing the ceiling.
I am planning to buy but it could be possible for me also to build.
At the moment in the room there are 12 broad band panels built with 10 cm rockwool of 40 kg/m^3 of density on the walls and other 6 on the ceiling and in the center (on ceiling) of the room there is a big wooden perforated panel containing the same rockwool.
The room without sound treatement was sounding like a gym, now it is pretty good to my ears, but i feel it could be better, especially for the reverb response, maybe could be more controlled from 600 hz up.
this is the measurement MDAT: Download myroomMDAT.mdat from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Last edited by soundcard91; 6 days ago at 03:01 PM.. Reason: specification
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Wow. Unless there's something wrong with the measurement, the speaker response looks completely flawed. No bass and increasing level towards the highs.
Difficult to establish much based on this.

10 cm thick rockwool panels with that density isn't really broadband.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Omholt View Post
Wow. Unless there's something wrong with the measurement, the speaker response looks completely flawed. No bass and increasing level towards the highs.
Difficult to establish much based on this.

10 cm thick rockwool panels with that density isn't really broadband.
what do you suggest for broadband generally?
I paid attention to all the steps, i calibrated the audio card, loaded the cal file of the mic, calibrated the spl, i don't know why the response is flawed :(

posting some vocals or instruments recorded in the room may help?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcard91 View Post
what do you suggest for broadband generally?
I paid attention to all the steps, i calibrated the audio card, loaded the cal file of the mic, calibrated the spl, i don't know why the response is flawed :(

posting some vocals or instruments recorded in the room may help?
Depends completely on your budget. You can use much thicker porous material with low airflow resistivity and get a decent result, but it will steal much space as well and make the recording window shorter.
If you had budget, I would recommend RPG Modex Plates or combine it with some thick DIY absorbers.

Besides from that, treatment of the upper frequencies depends on what you're after. I like a product like RPG Biffusor for recording rooms because they give both diffusion and absorption (by turning them), thus you can change the acoustic environment depending on what you want. Using only absorption in the room isn't something I would recommend. One can always use free standing screens when desiring to record with only absorption.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search