The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundproofing exterior wall
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Soundproofing exterior wall

Hi,

This my first question to this all knowing forum. I'd be surprised if it wasn't tabled/answered before but I couldn't find this specific question anywhere.

So, I have the luxury of building my first (and probably only) recording studio from scratch. Athough maybe not relevant in this case but it's good to know that I live in Tanzania (East Africa), have a limited budget and availability of materials is sometimes challenging.

My studio will eventually consist of a control room, iso room and a live room.

My question is; when constructing interior walls and the structure is permanent (so no garage refit or difficult landlords to consider) what choice of material would be preferred? Do I use double high density concrete block walls (with air gap + rockwool insulation) - so basically the same as the outside walls - or would I go for the staggered studs, insulated, air gap, double layered drywall approach?

Looking forward to your guidance!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
In the equation I would also add the space that you are willing to lose in favor of your interior walls and to know if there is a floor in the basement.
I opted for the second solution (drywall), although to isolate the room acoustically from the outside world, the mass of a concrete wall is ideal and especially since it will be spaced from the outside walls. The care taken in the implementation will also make the difference: homogeneous, no contact with the outer shell, airtight. Good luck
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Do yourself a favor, before spending a dime or pounding a nail get and read this cover to cover...twice.
https://www.amazon.com/Home-Recordin.../dp/143545717X

Come back and chat after that...you will know a lot more and have less questions that have been answered thousands of times...

YYMV

Light

Temple
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
The double concrete block is going to have more isolation potential, but only if the rest of the system can match those levels- this likely means floating rooms, independent hvac systems per room, high TL (and cost) doors and windows etc as well as matching that mass for both inner and outer ceiling assemblies. Also the more contained the sound is, the more treatment will be needed inside each room.

The first thing to ask yourself are what are your isolation requirements? Both from inside to outside, and from room to room in the studio...Will this be a multi-operator studio (multiple engineers working on different projects at one time).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search