The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Measuring room before buying monitors Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Measuring room before buying monitors

I've been using headphones in my small, cube-shaped, untreated room.

I'm contemplating buying some monitors, but I'd rather not buy them if my room is going to make mixing really difficult. Also, I thought that a room measurement might allow someone more knowledgeable than me to suggest monitors which might work better than others.

However, I see that REW requires monitors and a microphone to take measurements. It's probably a daft question, but is there any way to measure my room without monitors?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
It's probably a daft question, but is there any way to measure my room without monitors?
Not that I'm aware of! You want to measure the impact that your room has on the sound within in it, and to do that you need something capable of generating sound in a measurable way - and that means speakers.

You don't have to use a set of studio monitors, however. For initial measurements, I'd guess that pretty much any set of speakers would be sufficient - providing they're capable of generating sound across a good span of the frequency range. Ideally 20-20kHz but very few speakers are really capable of that... so in reality, think "chunky hi-fi speakers" and not "flimsy computer speakers". You might even be able to use a guitar or bass rig if you're especially inventive.

Whatever speakers you use will “colour” the sound to some extent, but should still be sufficient to get a broad picture of your room acoustics and identify the main problems that will need fixing.

There are also software tools that can be used to gain some insight into how your room is likely to behave without needing to take acoustic measurements. For example: REW software features a very excellent ‘Room Simulator’ and there are numerous online apps, such as those below:

Amroc Room Mode Calculator
amroc - THE Room Mode Calculator

Hunecke Room Mode Calculator
hunecke.de | Room Eigenmodes Calculator

Bob Golds Room Mode Calculator
https://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm

Floor/Ceiling Reflection Calculator
Floor/Ceiling Reflection Calculator
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks very much!

I don't have any speakers, other than my guitar amp, and that's not where I'd have the monitors. So, I suppose I'd need to buy speakers (with the likelihood that I might struggle to use them for mixing in this room).

I've had a quick play with Room Simulator, but I'm not really sure about the different parameters, and what the chart is showing. I can see that there are big variances (up to almost 40dB) between frequencies. My room isn't bare (it has fitted office furniture and cupboards) but that means I'm not able to add much, if any acoustic treatment. I'm also sitting across the corner, so I'd be looking into the corner, and the speakers would be angled towards me. The room is upstairs in a timber-framed house, so the walls and floor and ceiling are plasterboard sandwich with 4" studs and fibreglass insulation.

I had been wondering if the small Genelec 8320 SAM speakers with the calibration and DSP might be beneficial... They're pretty much the largest monitors which will fit on my desk, and I had been thinking about smaller monitors before I came across these.

Is it possible to tell from this graph whether or not I'm going to run into problems when mixing?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

In addition to what skol said, id just like to add that if you want to mix music in there, you will need room treatment to help even out the frequency response, decay times, and control early redlections. The best monitors in the world are only as good as the room they're in.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
I had been wondering if the small Genelec 8320 SAM speakers with the calibration and DSP might be beneficial... They're pretty much the largest monitors which will fit on my desk, and I had been thinking about smaller monitors before I came across these.
Genelec SAM is a Godsend in ****ty rooms, yes. However, it just masks the level increase of room modes to some extent and does not change the decay time.

Oh, and get the Genelec 8330 because you can use AES/EBU.

In short, you need room treatment. Even if you "only" bring decay times > 100 Hz down to maybe 400-500 ms, it'll still be a massive improvement in your ability to hear things coming out of the speaker.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search