The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sound Advice for recording woodworking videos
Old 22nd January 2019
Here for the gear

Sound Advice for recording woodworking videos

I make woodworking YouTube videos that are primarily filmed in my tandem garage, which also doubles as a workout area. I've been having trouble recording audio of me speaking... it sounds like there is a good amount of echo and it makes it hard to match the audio from when I'm talking in the garage to my voice over audio (which sounds a lot better).

I've also got some other issues to contend with:

There is a fair amount of pedestrian traffic on the street outside my house and it's not uncommon to be able to hear people talking outside.

2. I also live by an airport and the planes are pretty loud at times. Usually I try to record takes in between the planes flying around... not the worst situation but far from ideal.

3. I live in a townhouse with shared walls. My neighbors are renters and are loud. From inside the garage, you can often hear people walking upstairs. I can also hear any time they close a door in their unit. Sometimes they will inexplicably leave their car idling in their garage which is directly adjacent to mine .

Anyway, I am looking for some advice on how to improve the audio quality when I record video. From my research, it seems like the best option would be to make some sound panels with Rockwool. I was also considering building sound diffusing panels out of wood (mostly because they look cool and it goes with the woodworking theme of my videos).

Attached are some of my Sketchup models of the space I am looking to treat.

[quote] Workshop Sketchup - Album on Imgur
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear
Would a lapel or headworn mic be an option?

It would be much cheaper than trying to address acoustics and sound isolation to simply put the mic much closer to your voice...Any real attempt at sound isolation is expensive, five figures for a DIYer is a ballpark to keep in mind.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Either close mic or go all VO.
Probably easiest to write a script or outline and collect shots, then record a full Voice Over and edit the video to that.

Check out Frank Horwarth for an example:

...but you probably don't need to go so far as to do stop motion animation like he sometimes does!

Seriously don't know where that guy finds the time, woodworking, animation, video production...

If you're really interested in doing something about treating the space, maybe try to find the weak link? You're asking about sound proofing (vs. acoustic treatment), which can be hell as you'd need to completely isolate your interior from all walls and ceiling. If, say, the garage door is the biggest issue, you could try treating just that if possible.
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAMike View Post
I make woodworking YouTube videos that are primarily filmed in my tandem garage, which also doubles as a workout area. I've been having trouble recording audio of me speaking... it sounds like there is a good amount of echo and it makes it hard to match the audio from when I'm talking in the garage to my voice over audio (which sounds a lot better).

Use this mic, its get you clean as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flU5NEWjNyA

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search