The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Genelec 1237a for home HIFI?
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear
Genelec 1237a for home HIFI?

Anyone use these for livingroom HIFI? On nice stands I can see them providing nice room filling music. They offer flat response and with GLM should offer a much better experience than those overpriced audiophile furniture speakers that are more about bragging about fancy woods and furniture.
Old 20th January 2019
Here for the gear

A few months ago I had a very similar question. I ended up going with the 8260a as they extend a bit lower from what I saw in the specs and I didn't need to fill a massive room with sound. Though, from my research I saw many a home theater with Genelec 123X speakers.

That said, I did hear B&W 802 d3s at a local dealer - they were the most enjoyable sounding speakers I heard. I didn't hear the Genelecs but did compare 803 d3, Focal Sopra 3, Focal Kanta 2 & 3, Dutch & Dutch 8c, as well as others - albeit in different rooms).

Genelec has the GLM which is what guided my selection and I'm assuming is a part of your consideration. You can always add the subs and integrate them extremely well with the 1237s with GLM.

Just as a FYI - there was a comment in the 'Dutch and Dutch 8c are remarkable speakers' forum that Genelec had some products coming out this year that will be 'exciting' or something to that effect. Also - if you can get subs - check out those Genelec S360 as well. They look to have similar frequency response as 1237a in a more compact form.

Never hurts to peruse the Genelec forums and find consistent posters and PM them - they've been extremely helpful in that regard to me and I'm grateful for that.

Interested to hear others' thoughts on this.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

I seem to recall years go Genelec marketed the 1037s for hifi use. Fow whatever they no longer to aim for that market.

And congratulations! You identified the main diference between hifi and studios speakers: the finish.

Andre
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear
Yes GLM is defiantly part of the consideration and the fact that Genelec is one of the few companies that really takes the science of sound delivery seriously, It seems so many speaker companies spend more in marketing than the actual product design. Ask any audiophile about Genelec and they will be like "Huh" none of my colleagues ever heard of Genelec but they sure know all the other brands. I prefer speakers that do not color the sound, you can easy color it if you want with outboard equipment but I do not want something that will taint the delivery of sound to my ears.

About audiophile speakers, I see some designs that just make me question what the heck were they thinking I don't get how people can be satisfied with some of the stuff I seen. It is like they try to design with lots of drivers and weird positioning for impressing people visually and not providing the best audio delivery to the listener.

In my studio I replaced all my monitors with Genelec and so far I have been very happy with the delivery of sound. I am now upgrading one room to 8341s. I am keeping the replacement (8040s) and they will now be my touring monitors. Interesting that they are coming up with something new this year, very interested to know.

I have heard the 802's.. The B&Ws do look super nice but they have a bump in the 40-80hz(almost 8db!) Lots of Boom Boom with them Probably why they are so popular.
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear
The 802 are used in mastering studio. Mastering engineers loves boom boom...
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 View Post
Ask any audiophile about Genelec and they will be like "Huh" none....
Audiophile & pro have theire bias. I know audiophiles using 8260, 1037 and 1038.

Some audiophile know how is designed a speaker and prefer the black and do not paid the bling bling.
Old 3rd February 2019
Here for the gear

3rp party correction

I assumed you'd be using a third party correction as you're Using GLM. I listened to some 8260 and B&W 802s side by side. I'd say reverb tails were more noticeable on 8260 - as well as location. BUT - a snare sounded like a snare was cracked with a drumstick right in front of me - the body of the drums are realistic (due to the volume and the materials? guess). At the end of the day, if the 1237s sound as specific as the 8260s with more body to instruments, I'd say they're going to crush it, but you're going to need a sub or two - for certain.

let us know what you go with. I'm thinking of moving up as well - would be interesting.
Old 3rd February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
You identified the main diference between hifi and studios speakers: the finish.
There's another difference: You could never sell a studio monitor that isn't halfway flat on-axis. No such requirement in Hifi.
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
There's another difference: You could never sell a studio monitor that isn't halfway flat on-axis. No such requirement in Hifi.
I did not write it is the only difference.

andre
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Yes, you can. How pro brands publish measurements?

The flat on axis is not a great criterion, it's esay to do. The neutrality off axis is the major criterion.

There are the good and the bad brands. The dichotomy pro hifi is a mental prison useful for the business.
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Nut

Greetings all,

Soliciting opinions:

I'm a recreational music lover with a taste of pro equipment.

Currently, my living room's rig is 8341 x 2 + 7360 x 2 @ 1.45 meters.

I'm itching for an upgrade, either s360 or 1237A, likely matted to 7370 x 2. The listening distance will be 1.8 meters - 2. Moderate SPL levels: 70db-95db.

I auditioned the s360. Pretty amazing. The 1237A is unavailable to me, but I kicked the tires of the 1238. Serious stuff!

What's my best option here? Or I'm overshooting with those midfielders and I should just stay with the 8341?
Old 9th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoveringBit View Post
What's my best option here?
Asking the same question in the High End Forum.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search