The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should i be worried over a 6-9db dip? Studio Monitors
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Should i be worried over a 6-9db dip?

Hi gearslutterz!

My name is Simon, I've read the forums for years, but never had to register and seek advice before, until now...sorry for the long post but I want to give as many details as possible.

I moved into a new apartment about 9 months ago and I now have a dedicated room for my studio! Like all new built apartments the walls are plasterboard (nothing I can do about that), but it is a decent size 3.3m x 2.8m x 2.3m (LxWxH), with a square bit added on where the door is making the length 4.2m (see photos).

I have large 6'x2'x6" traps (plywood frame, rockwool core, 3mm backing board, pro acoustic fabric) in 3 corners which all have air space behind them (not where the door is - a little bass heavy as you'd expect). There is about 8" of gap between the top of the bass traps and the ceiling (would this effect things?).

4'x2'x6" at the 1st reflection points(flush to wall), 4'x4'x6" thick panel at the front wall behind my listening position (slight air gap due to window sill), and 2 panels 4'x2'x6" at the rear wall(flush to wall).

I have a rug under my desk (wooden floor elsewhere) and 4'x3'x2" acoustic tiles above the listening position (can't put traps on ceiling as I cannot secure them well enough without causing damage)

All the vertical panels can be moved as they are on castors or legs (didn't want to damage my walls).

I run Eve Audio SC207s on auralex pads on stands, which I recently upgraded to from a pair of sc204s + TS107 sub. Currently the monitors are about 18" from the front wall - previously they were closer but this emphasized the slight boost at 50hz and made the 90-100hz dip worse. So, I moved the speakers out a bit, but the dip is still there.

The -6-9db @90-100hz dip issue was there with the old setup too so I think it is reflection related, and maybe due to the height as my monitors sit at roughly 50% between floor and ceiling - stands won't go lower and higher they would not be aimed at my ears, unless I angle them downwards.

The room was analysed using Sonarworks Reference 4. There is a 3-4db boost at 50-60hz and then a -6-9db cut at 90-100hz which obviously Reference 4 can correct quite easily and says to me this is purely reflection related?

So, what I want to know is; are my acoustics alright or should I try and fix the dip some more?

I could move the monitors a lot closer to the wall and removing the absorption panels behind them (I could move those panels to 2nd reflection points in theory).

Thanks for you advice and help guys!

Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Should i be worried over a 6-9db dip?-screen-shot-2019-01-20-11.52.13.jpg   Should i be worried over a 6-9db dip?-img_1575.jpg   Should i be worried over a 6-9db dip?-img_1576.jpg   Should i be worried over a 6-9db dip?-img_1577.jpg   Should i be worried over a 6-9db dip?-img_1578.jpg  

Last edited by Deviance; 4 weeks ago at 07:01 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Great looking traps. If that’s DYI, it is pro quality. I’m not pretending to know enough to address your questions, but I’ll follow the thread.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Great looking traps. If that’s DYI, it is pro quality. I’m not pretending to know enough to address your questions, but I’ll follow the thread.
Thanks, yes they are home made (DIY).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviance View Post
Thanks, yes they are home made (DIY).
I wish I could think of something clever that DYI could stand for, but “I’m just an idiot today” has different initials.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Looks pretty good; I have a bigger room, more acoustic treatment, more “expensive” monitors and about the same results as you (although my L and R are more similar to each other)! I have resorted to Sonarworks for now :(
Old 4 weeks ago
Overall I'd say the measurements are pretty respectable. I too would've wanted to see better matching in the highs, but oh well... such is life.

As for the 90Hz dip, try moving around the monitors and listening spot, if space permits. 90Hz won't be trivial to correct, if that's a true null. Does it sound strange after calibration?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I suspect the different between the monitors (left and Right) is maybe due to slight symmetry issues in the room ie where the door area is, and the window on the opposite corner...?

I have played around and analysed my room over and over, moving the monitors and my desk a little at a time, but this is the best I've had it - at one point the dip was -12db. I am going to try and decrease/increase the height of my monitors so that they are not smack bang in the middle of the room height and see if that makes a difference. Apart from that all other boundaries are unequal to any other boundary distance.

Thanks
Simon
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Just to reiterate the well-trodden mantra: push your monitors right up against the front wall. Like, literally within few millimetres.

I had exactly that same dip in my own room and moving my monitors forwards greatly helped to reduce it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skol303 View Post
Just to reiterate the well-trodden mantra: push your monitors right up against the front wall. Like, literally within few millimetres.

I had exactly that same dip in my own room and moving my monitors forwards greatly helped to reduce it.
Haha I read your post yesterday while trying to think of ideas. How big was your dip at 100hz?

I have not tried removing the absorption panels behind my monitors and having them as close to the wall as possible yet, that was the final change I was going to try tonight.

I know with small non-professional rooms you can see dips as low as -30db! I was quite happy at my negative 6-9db dip being honest, but wanted to see what others thought.

Thanks
Simon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
What is the resolution of the curve generate by sonarwork?

Do the curve is a multi points or one point measurements?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Removed absorption behind monitors so they’re like 20-30mm off the front wall, and moved absorption panels to second reflection points and reanalysed;[email protected], [email protected] No better and no worse really. I now think this is more monitor height reflection in my room as nothing seems to make much of a difference.

Going to try a few other things out tomorrow.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search