The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stacking two pairs of identical speakers? Studio Monitors
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Nobody was really mocking you, man. The "next big thing" bit is just an old running joke. Hey everybody! Stacked speakers, the next big thing! Who knew?
I did infer a derogatory tone in your initial responses, if I misconstrued your posts I apologize.

@ everyone who took time to guide me:

I will make a quick attempt at Bushman's suggestion of listening to my current pair stacked, just for fun. Though I am pretty pessimistic at this point and probably won't pull the trigger regardless (even if my ears fail to detect the chaos).

In regards to the alternative gear types suggested throughout the thread;

Sure, I would love to ditch my current speakers and get a pair of Genelec 8260A / Kii Three, though this would cost ~9000 USD, which I don't have (I'm in grad school and in debt).

The best deal I see around currently is a pair of Dynaudio Air 20's for ~1800 USD, but this is still a lot of money (for me), especially since I don't know if this is a speaker I would have for decades (contrary to the Genelec's or Kii's). Selling my current speakers would not contribute in any significant way to paying for a set in this price range.

In regards to subs, the Mackie HRS-series is impossible to find - I've looked for more than a decade... A Genelec 7070A (or larger) could be a possibility, but this is still a 1000+ USD upgrade, which would also be a somewhat temporary configuration probably (though I suppose later the Mackie's could be substituted for some Genelec 8351's, should I ever get the money). But I would likely prefer something like the AIR's instead of a 2.1 with the Mackie's. Not that I have the money for either option currently

So yes, I probably knew the answer to my question already when I posted. But my opinion was swayed by the fact that this would be a 250 USD experiment. A cheap way of attending to that gear-itch and having an excuse to play around with some software EQ as well (which I will most likely still attempt with my current pair).

Thanks to everyone who responded - And should anyone have more to add I'm still interested in learning more.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatGazoo View Post
I did infer a derogatory tone in your initial responses, if I misconstrued your posts I apologize.

@ everyone who took time to guide me:

I will make a quick attempt at Bushman's suggestion of listening to my current pair stacked, just for fun. Though I am pretty pessimistic at this point and probably won't pull the trigger regardless (even if my ears fail to detect the chaos).

In regards to the alternative gear types suggested throughout the thread;

Sure, I would love to ditch my current speakers and get a pair of Genelec 8260A / Kii Three, though this would cost ~9000 USD, which I don't have (I'm in grad school and in debt).

The best deal I see around currently is a pair of Dynaudio Air 20's for ~1800 USD, but this is still a lot of money (for me), especially since I don't know if this is a speaker I would have for decades (contrary to the Genelec's or Kii's). Selling my current speakers would not contribute in any significant way to paying for a set in this price range.

In regards to subs, the Mackie HRS-series is impossible to find - I've looked for more than a decade... A Genelec 7070A (or larger) could be a possibility, but this is still a 1000+ USD upgrade, which would also be a somewhat temporary configuration probably (though I suppose later the Mackie's could be substituted for some Genelec 8351's, should I ever get the money). But I would likely prefer something like the AIR's instead of a 2.1 with the Mackie's. Not that I have the money for either option currently

So yes, I probably knew the answer to my question already when I posted. But my opinion was swayed by the fact that this would be a 250 USD experiment. A cheap way of attending to that gear-itch and having an excuse to play around with some software EQ as well (which I will most likely still attempt with my current pair).

Thanks to everyone who responded - And should anyone have more to add I'm still interested in learning more.
Definitely no apology required, man.

Just one quick thought. Why not some speakers with an 8"" woofer? That would probably do it for you. I have some 1031a Genys that I've used for a long time in all kinds of rooms. They have plenty of oomph. Maybe you don't need to go from 6" right to 10" to get what you're after? I have some smaller Dynaudios I use sometimes, too. Mine are 5" or 6" woofers, I think, so probably not what you want. But I've used the bigger ones in several studios also. I can confirm that they are good speakers.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Definitely no apology required, man.

Just one quick thought. Why not some speakers with an 8"" woofer? That would probably do it for you. I have some 1031a Genys that I've used for a long time in all kinds of rooms. They have plenty of oomph. Maybe you don't need to go from 6" right to 10" to get what you're after? I have some smaller Dynaudios I use sometimes, too. Mine are 5" or 6" woofers, I think, so probably not what you want. But I've used the bigger ones in several studios also. I can confirm that they are good speakers.

cheers,

audioforce
I currently have 2*8.75" woofers (HR824, not HR624).

And despite what my posts might indicate (and what the consensus has often been here on Gearslutz) I actually think that the Mackie's are pretty good speakers (especially for my non-critical purposes). The passive radiator can be difficult to control though and my environment doesn't allow them to perform to their ability.
On that note, it would probably be borderline blasphemous to install a pair of high-end speakers in this room, even if I had the money

An HRS120 sub would be the perfect solution, all things considered, but the nearest one currently for sale is in France...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I currently have 2*8.75" woofers (HR824, not HR624).

And despite what my posts might indicate (and what the consensus has often been here on Gearslutz) I actually think that the Mackie's are pretty good speakers (especially for my non-critical purposes). The passive radiator can be difficult to control though and my environment doesn't allow them to perform to their ability.
On that note, it would probably be borderline blasphemous to install a pair of high-end speakers in this room, even if I had the money

An HRS120 sub would be the perfect solution, all things considered, but the nearest one currently for sale is in France...
Oh, I see. I don't know, man. The room you described didn't sound too weird. Maybe just put something along the one wall that has all the glass. You didn't say how high the ceiling is. Anyhow, really great speakers are probably going to sound some amount of "better" in almost any room.

And don't worry about blasphemy with regard to your room. I can remember being in places [studios] with all kinds of amazing gear where I was almost afraid to sit down because I might have caught something. : )

I don't really have an informed opinion on the Mackies, other than "what everybody says". But maybe you can just stay with 8" woofers, but better speakers [bigger amps], when you can swing it. Or the sub.

Dynaudios might be nice for you. Nice, solid sound. Or, actually, while you're thinking it over, on the Mastering Forum there are some guys who really know a whole lot about speakers. You could probably get some good info over there. Just tell them up front what you're doing and what your situation is.

You'll figure it out. I wouldn't get to worried about it, man. The right speakers at a right price will turn up at some point and you'll be ready.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

This is, no doubt, a proper first world problem. The "itch" was just extra strong (last time I ended up with ~500 lbs worth of custom made DEFECTIVE transmission line speakers, so this wouldn't have been my first poor decision in this regard...).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
This is, no doubt, a proper first world problem. The "itch" was just extra strong (last time I ended up with ~500 lbs worth of custom made DEFECTIVE transmission line speakers, so this wouldn't have been my first poor decision in this regard...).
The road to used equipment sales is paved with good intentions.
Or something like that...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search