The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yurt Studio with pefect acoustics?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yurt Studio with pefect acoustics?

Hey, I've been looking at people living in Yurts (mongolian tent-houses) on youtube (example. YouTube) for a while and was thinking that the acoustics in there must be really good. All the walls are made out of insulating felt and there from my knowledge of acoustics there should be no need for bass trapping or resonators since all the sound is escaping from the structure. Whats your thoughts on this?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I've never had a chance to measure one, but I've been in a few and subjectively they do have very nice acoustics...for full range playback I think it would be better if it was on an insulated slab.

That all said, you obviously won't ever get great isolation, but some of the ones I've been in have the more modern insulation packages and are really pretty quiet inside if your location is already quiet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Cool, I'd love to get inside one and test the sound myself before taking the leap and building one Yeah i saw one built on hay bales, using that and plywood floor with a carpet I think you could get good isolation downwards. But as you say it'd have to be in a pretty quiet area.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsehopp View Post
Cool, I'd love to get inside one and test the sound myself before taking the leap and building one Yeah i saw one built on hay bales, using that and plywood floor with a carpet I think you could get good isolation downwards.
I wouldn't worry too much about downward isolation, so much as resonances. If you did a deck on haybales maybe consider a plywood, few layers of sheetrock or concrete board, and plywood again sandwich.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search