The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
6' x 6' Bookshelf - make into a large absorption panel?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
6' x 6' Bookshelf - make into a large absorption panel?

I have a very heavy HDF bookshelf, 72" x 72" x 15.5" deep (arranged as 16 squares) and we were going to throw it away as I'm cleaning out items for the new studio space. But then I got to thinking, instead of buying 4 very large custom monster traps for like $1200+, could I just fill this bookshelf with absorption materials (16 squares total) and achieve the same effect? Keep in mind, it would be nearly 2X depth of monster trap, so I'd imagine it would really reduce down quite far in the spectrum.

Any thoughts?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

You could cram it full of insulation, and it would serve the purpose of a massive bass trap, don't forget to cover it in fabric to make it look pretty.
Or you could turn the thing into a massive diffuser.
I had an idea to take such a thing and put a very large number {7 per pattern, x 5 patterns per cavity=35 x 16 cavities=560}
of cardboard packing rings, 2 1/4" tall, x 3" in diameter, x 1/8" thick cardboard wall thickness, into each of the 16 cavities.

So basically you do something like this:

Arrange a pattern of rings with one in the center, surrounded by 6 to encircle the center ring.All laying flat on their edges.
Glue them together with Gorilla Snot or similar high strength fast drying wood glue.
Build another pattern of these and stack it on top of the first pattern, offsetting the rings by half the diameter of the outside ring.
Glue that pattern to one underneath it.
Repeat 5 times per each of the individual containers in the large assembly. Glue each of the 5 pattern stacks to the inside back wall of the storage unit.

Sound enters the trap, bounces off of each of the rings and is constantly diffused all the way into the back of the trap, it bounces off the back wall and is diifused again all the way out of the trap, which it then ceases to become sound reflection.
This patent is worth thousands, send me a pm and I'll tell you where to send the checks.
I was going to do this myself, I just cant spare the real estate right now, I may still do one at a smaller scale.
Yes, I've tested the fVcking thing, and yeah, it works like a lucky charm...

A gift to all the slutz, for all the gifts you have given to me...

YYMV

Light

Temple
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Do it!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
Cool, I will post pictures when I'm done. Assuming OC 703?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

15.5" is too deep for 703. Semirigid or fluffy batts would be more effective.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Don’t forget to leave air gap at the back. If it’s the IKEA thing, they make baskets that fit in each cube. Get some of those, rig a cardboard divider or something to create air gap at the back, and maybe stuff each basket with Rockwool?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search