The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustic Panels and Gobos for a "sort-of-vocal-booth"
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Acoustic Panels and Gobos for a "sort-of-vocal-booth"

Hi Everyone, I've been doing a lot of voice overs recently and am wanting to upgrade my setup. I've decided the best place to put my money is in the acoustics. Unfortunately, I can't treat the room permanently or move much furniture. So what I've been doing was using Clearsonic Sorber panels to build a kind of hut around me. I think the Sorber panels are some sort of rigid fiberglass 1.5 inches thick. They help make the room useable, but around 700-500 Hz they seem to begin to be ineffective and the bass really builds up below that.

My plan currently is to get some of the free standing bass traps from GIK and replace the "walls" of the hut with them. I'm wondering if they would be able to support one of the Sorber panels (i.e. do they have frames that can support a few pounds).

Another question is whether I should put a panel (I was thinking either a 2 or 3 inch panel) behind the computer monitor. And if so should I get one with diffusion (to help with comb filtering). This would also go for any of the other panels.

Thanks for any help. I know this was a long post and what I'm doing probably a little insane, but it's currently the best I can do. Also, just a quick note, I'm not mixing here—just recording spoken word. My goal is just to get the driest recording possible.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackash View Post
Hi Everyone, I've been doing a lot of voice overs recently and am wanting to upgrade my setup. I've decided the best place to put my money is in the acoustics. Unfortunately, I can't treat the room permanently or move much furniture. So what I've been doing was using Clearsonic Sorber panels to build a kind of hut around me. I think the Sorber panels are some sort of rigid fiberglass 1.5 inches thick. They help make the room useable, but around 700-500 Hz they seem to begin to be ineffective and the bass really builds up below that.

My plan currently is to get some of the free standing bass traps from GIK and replace the "walls" of the hut with them. I'm wondering if they would be able to support one of the Sorber panels (i.e. do they have frames that can support a few pounds).

Another question is whether I should put a panel (I was thinking either a 2 or 3 inch panel) behind the computer monitor. And if so should I get one with diffusion (to help with comb filtering). This would also go for any of the other panels.

Thanks for any help. I know this was a long post and what I'm doing probably a little insane, but it's currently the best I can do. Also, just a quick note, I'm not mixing here—just recording spoken word. My goal is just to get the driest recording possible.
Myself have also always sought to record vocals separately from the music, preferably in a reflection free little room, as this is the industry standard.
But after starting to experiment with diffusers, I have now changed my mind.

The diffusers I test in the video I link to gave, in my opinion, a more clear separation between the left and right channels. The voices also feel more high res and broadbanded correct in all frequencys. This compared to the traditional vocal booth.

The panels in my traditional booth are inherited after the famous Europa Film Studios in Stockholm, Sweden

Actually, both vocal booths sound good. But I think one of them is better. What do you think?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search