The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Home Studio Build - Tilden, Nebraska, USA
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

New Home Studio Build - Tilden, Nebraska, USA

Hello friends -

My time has finally come, and I'm getting ready to start building my first studio from scratch. I've purchased some land out in the country, with hopes of building a great recording studio, and taking my audio production to the next level.

Needless to say, I've been giving the design some HUGE consideration. My research for this project has been a lot of forum posts and studio design websites. I also purchased and read "Home Recording Studio, Build it like the pros" by Rod Gervals. After massing as much information as I could, I've come up with the design attached to this post. I tried to include all relevant details in the image.

I guess what I'm looking for is another set of eyes on my design to identify potential problems, and suggestions on how it could be done better (Save some cash?). Let me know if you need any more information.

Cheers - you rock guys.
Attached Thumbnails
New Home Studio Build - Tilden, Nebraska, USA-ritter-studio-layout-v1.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Awesome that you're going to build! Also congrats on the first post here. Just a couple quick thoughts:

1) 8' ceiling in the control room is pretty low for a dedicated build. Your live room is going to be taller - why not the CR?
2) The CR is also quite small overall, with a door at the rear center - is this only for you? Where will other people sit when listening to mixes?
3) You specify a standard wall on the left side of the CR. Don't you want that wall to provide isolation from outside noises?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply cyborssc. I've been told by a few people now that the CR room is going to be too small. Going to have to adjust. I was trying to give priority to the live room with the limited space I had.

1. The entire structure has a sloped ceiling starting at 8 feet, and going to 11 feet. Since the 8 foot start is on the left wall of the control room, the thought was to make it 8 feet all the way across to maintain symmetry, the I would use the extra space in the ceiling to run ventilation.

2. I've been trying really hard to make a CR room that can house a couch. The design I posted tried to remain true to the modal ratios of the room as the first priority, at the sacrifice of a couch.

3. The build is actually going to be in the country, and that particular wall facing into nothingness for miles, so I really don't think sound transmission there will be an issue.

As you can guess, I've tried a hundred different mutations on how to set up the rooms. This design was cemented around the idea that the modal relationships of the room are of the most importance, and to adjust around that. I do want at least one iso room. Finding a better way to do this is really eluding me :(
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

a pure functional aspect: can you make the doors to the cr and recording area to open towards the hallway?
Old 4 days ago
Welcome to Gearslutz ritteraf!

Thanks for sharing your build
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
a pure functional aspect: can you make the doors to the cr and recording area to open towards the hallway?
Yes I can!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Would you consider one big room, maybe with a smaller iso or two for tracking? It may be easier to get it sounding good. LEDE with a variety of gobos and such available?
Attached Thumbnails
New Home Studio Build - Tilden, Nebraska, USA-img_20190115_131258115-468x679.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Hey Jon, thanks for the reply. I'm definitely open to all options at this point, and I'll give your design some serious thought.

Through some different feedback, I've landed on a newer design, and I'm curious what you guys think about it. Attached.
Attached Thumbnails
New Home Studio Build - Tilden, Nebraska, USA-ritter-studio-layout-v2.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

I wonder if you're just trying to put too much in there? It's a pretty big space, sure, but two iso's big enough for people, a live room, and a control room us enough to compromise each in some way. You may need to, and there's no reason you can't make them all good sounding and comfortable, but fewer larger spaces, an amp closet or two ( or Palmer speaker simulators!) and some gobos may help you start with easier spaces to treat. But it's _your_ workflow that matters!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritteraf View Post
Hey Jon, thanks for the reply. I'm definitely open to all options at this point, and I'll give your design some serious thought.

Through some different feedback, I've landed on a newer design, and I'm curious what you guys think about it. Attached.
I think the lack of depth isn't ideal, I'd probably lean towards your first one if either.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

...small rooms are somewhat difficult (for various reasons, not all in the acoustic domain) - i therefore would do just one iso booth; i'm sure you can put amps in a hallway, outdoors, fit into small iso box, whatever...

as we speak of it: what are you trying to achieve? a studio with live bands tracking, mainly overdubbing, spoken word? also, what's your setup, analog desk/outboard, itb? - i find it useful to have equipment included in floor plans. and if you get some daylight into both cr and studio, that'd be terrific!
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritteraf View Post

If your tracking bands, the folks in the iso booths in the back are going to have a difficult time making eye contact with the performers in the live room.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Hey Guys - thanks for your feedback. Based on your thoughts and others, I've done another re-design.

1. The vocal booth is officially dead.

2. This layout includes a sound lock entry between the two leafs

3. In that same sound lock "area" is the space for my custom silencer box between the leaves

4. Storage rooms!

5. Larger speaker soffits that make sense.

6. A couch for people to listen that isn't all up in my grill

7. More square footage in the CR and live room

There are still a few I was made aware of, that I'm not sure have been fully addressed.

1. The Live room is closely approaching a square shape, of course, with the exception that the CR is cutting right into that square.

3. I still have not hit the "minimum size" for the CR room suggested, and I feel that if I go any larger, the live room will just simply not be big enough.
Attached Thumbnails
New Home Studio Build - Tilden, Nebraska, USA-ritter-studio-layout-v4.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search