The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wall construction and ventilation flexible duct
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Wall construction and ventilation flexible duct

Hello

I'm building a home studio (semi-pro) and I'm trying to figure out a few things. I've read a lot (!) of information here and on other fora and in certain books but I still have a few questions. Hope someone can help me with these:

• 1. I wanted to know if anyone can advice me about the difference in soundproofing between these ideas:

First idea was to have
- CONTROL ROOM
- MASS: 2 layers of gyproc, one layer OSB
- SPRING: 3 layers of 16cm RockWool Base (35 kg/m3) = 48cm
- MASS: concrete wall

But I had this second idea:
- CONTROL ROOM
- SPRING: 1 layer of 16cm RockWool Base (35 kg/m3)
- MASS: 2 layers of gyproc, one layer OSB
- SPRING: 2 layers of 16cm RockWool Base (35 kg/m3) = 32 cm
- MASS: concrete wall

With the second idea, the first layer of RockWool would be inside the control room, functioning as a big acoustic absorber (hopefully to get some bass acoustics right). I would also gain 16 cm of space which would be very welcome - with the first idea, I would still need additional sound absorption panels at the back of the control room.

My question: would I loose a lot of soundproofing with the second idea or is this too difficult to assess? Because I need to be able to work without disturbing the neighbours.

• 2. I'm going to install a ventilation system. I'm planning to use a flexible duct of 9 meters which I will put on the top of the control room ceiling (with a few turns to stop the noise waves). On top of this, there will also be a layer of RockWool.

Something like this:

Is this enough to stop the sound of a band in the record room or do I still need to build a silencer box?

Thanks for the help!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Nobody? I would really appreciate any advice I can get.
Thank you!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Using dense rockwool slabs inside the wall cavity is not needed. Use cheap fluffy insulation to dampen the resonance. The rigid slabs can actually reduce isolation. If you shrink the size of the airgap you will raise the resonant frequency of the assembly and reduce low frequency isolation. The construction you propose will be pretty good. The weak points will be hvac, electrical, doors, and most likely the ceiling, unless you can match the mass off the walls. You do need hvac baffle boxes.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

How heavy/thick is that concrete wall?
If you have considerable a-symmetry in your masses the isolation behavior differs from the situation with more symmetrical masses.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Thank you both for the advice!
Bert, I will contact you via PM for a few more questions if thats possible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search