The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Damping vs absorption coefficient
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Damping vs absorption coefficient

I'm trying to knock down a singular problem frequency in my room @ 55Hz. Playing about with the acoustic modelling calculator, I can hit this 55Hz peak in many ways.

What's the more important property to chase after when room space is at a premium - a high absorption coefficient, or high damping properties?

I'll give two examples:

(1) 1mm holes and 26mm spacing between each:

(2) 19mm holes and 337mm spacing between each:

A summary of the graphs:

With the 19mm holes, the absorption coefficient is almost 1, whilst the damping is low at 1.15.
With the 1mm holes, the absorption coefficient is just over 0.4, but the damping is high at 7.53.

Due to the size of my room, chasing both high damping properties and a high absorption coefficient to kill this 55Hz node is impractical. So which do I prioritise?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Option 2 is more efficient
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Care to elaborate?

I'm interpreting the absorption coefficient to be the degree to which a design can eliminate frequency X... the closer to 1.00, the more effective the design will be at the specified frequency.

But damping - i'm not sure how to extrapolate the concept of damping away from the concept of absorption? To me, these concepts are one and the same. What are their differences, in terms of technical application?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Damping is a bad thing. The soundwaves make the box vibrate, which converts sound energy to heat. If the box is too rigid for the target frequency to easily make it vibrate, then it cant convert the energy as easily and is less efficient.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search