The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recover low frequency Studio Monitors
Old 6th January 2019
  #31
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Not a hip hop or electronic mix, how can you mix something you cant' hear?
A trio : piano bass and drum on a ns10 and this is a disaster.

Last edited by dinococcus; 6th January 2019 at 07:29 PM..
Old 7th January 2019
  #32
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileon View Post
hi,
never tried hiphop but what i found is that on proper environment ( i mean big enougth room or adopted) ns10 can sound really bassy Not 30hz of course but they can give some low energy image somehow.
If you are hearing "bass" from an NS10, then you have pretty good hearing!

Here's the actual frequency response plot:
Attached Thumbnails
Recover low frequency-ns10-axis-response-graph.jpg  
Old 7th January 2019
  #33
Lives for gear
Question, is it possible to get some sub harmonics distortion (because of the room)? So we get the impression to hear more bass than the speakers produce
Old 7th January 2019
  #34
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
If you are hearing "bass" from an NS10, then you have pretty good hearing!

Here's the actual frequency response plot:
LOL that bump around 1500 Hz.

Imagine people measuring their room with NS 10 speakers
Old 7th January 2019
  #35
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Question, is it possible to get some sub harmonics distortion (because of the room)? So we get the impression to hear more bass than the speakers produce
You can get that from un-damped modes, for sure. A mode that is triggered by your speakers in an untreated or poorly treated room can certainly give a peak in both SPL and the time domain. Hence, rooms need bass trapping.


- Stuart -
Old 7th January 2019
  #36
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
If you are hearing "bass" from an NS10, then you have pretty good hearing! :
Or an active imagination.

To be more fair, NS10s, Auratones and MixCubes are useful in letting you hear what bandwidth-limited speakers give you. Clever engineers can increase harmonics on bass instruments or emphasize the attack or strike of LF elements, which can give higher frequency clues that allow listeners to tend to think they “hear” lows they really can’t hear. It works for small speakers, mall speakers, and stock earbuds.
But it doesn’t work in the other direction. If you don’t have speakers, or at least good headphones, that can accurately reproduce the sub frequencies, you are throwing darts while blindfolded, and you will have about the same success.
As JayPee wrote, you can’t mix what you can’t hear.
Old 7th January 2019
  #37
Here for the gear
 

hi i thougth about 50~ hz up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
If you are hearing "bass" from an NS10, then you have pretty good hearing!

Here's the actual frequency response plot:
Old 7th January 2019
  #38
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
LOL that bump around 1500 Hz.

Imagine people measuring their room with NS 10 speakers
You can if you use the ns10 as recommended by Yamaha.

Set in the cornet
Listen at 4 m
In a classic living room

In this condition, the ns10 is a Hifi neutral speaker.

Last edited by dinococcus; 7th January 2019 at 08:14 PM..
Old 8th January 2019
  #39
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Or an active imagination.

To be more fair, NS10s, Auratones and MixCubes are useful in letting you hear what bandwidth-limited speakers give you. Clever engineers can increase harmonics on bass instruments or emphasize the attack or strike of LF elements, which can give higher frequency clues that allow listeners to tend to think they “hear” lows they really can’t hear. It works for small speakers, mall speakers, and stock earbuds.
Oh I agree completely! The NS10s were popular with engineers and studios for many years, for that same reason: it sounded pretty much like an average home "HiFi" stereo speaker, so if you could mix something that sounded good on an NX10, it would sound good in most living rooms and other locations too.
I've heard it said that the NX10 was widely used in studios for so many years, not because it was so good, but because it was so bad! Maybe a little unfair, but not far from the truth.

- Stuart -
Old 8th January 2019
  #40
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman2020 View Post
Oh I agree completely! The NS10s were popular with engineers and studios for many years, for that same reason: it sounded pretty much like an average home "HiFi" stereo speaker, so if you could mix something that sounded good on an NX10, it would sound good in most living rooms and other locations too.
I've heard it said that the NX10 was widely used in studios for so many years, not because it was so good, but because it was so bad! Maybe a little unfair, but not far from the truth.

- Stuart -
There are a bleepload of threads on the NS10. It isn’t as simple as saying they were like most home speakers. Really, they weren’t.
But they were very good in transient response and had less overshoot and sloppiness in the low end than most home speakers (and most studio monitors). The combination of a fairly light woofer cone and a sealed cabinet gave an unusually clear, unsmeared picture of the low end the NS10 is capable of reproducing.
And, for whatever reason, I have not ever been able to use them. People I respect use them, but I can’t make sense of them. By now, I hate seeing them.
Old 18th January 2019
  #41
Here for the gear
 

After Helmholtz

Hi, i have did few helmholtz resontators made for ~24hz frequecy. It decreased a decay time a lot of this lows and increased level at sweet spot. As U can see a measurement done at sweet spot place it looks not bad. But there is still a lot of decay at low range. What do U think Guys, i should make more wideband absorbers to eliminate this decays at lows ?
Attached Thumbnails
Recover low frequency-rew1.jpg  
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
sonny hegarty / Studio building / acoustics
4
TracedInAir13 / Live Sound
7
Jimmy Mansfield / Studio building / acoustics
11
asknone9 / Geekslutz forum
1
tomasrangel / Mastering forum
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump